U-joint Bellows for 1986 Alpha one, generation one, Mercruiser

Bruce53

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Having a terrible time replaceing my bellows. Clymer Shop Manual says to "push bell housing ... so that the bellows will slide onto the gimbal housing flange." The Seloc Repair Manual says the same. It won't "slide" over with all that I do and I see no way to force it even when the BH is pushed forward of the hinge pin holes. Finally, when I finger-feel that the bellows is maybe over the flange, how do I know when the bellows ridge is in the recess groves on the gimbal flange?? One problem may be terminology: the adhesive tube says to "allow the adhesive to dry until it is tacky" but the shop manual say to "let the adhesive dry ... until it is not tacky." Have tried it both ways with ultra clean flange and bellows. I figure the manual is right because the Quicksilver Bellows Adhesive becomes tacky in about ten seconds after putting it on. In both trys, the bellows broke lose from the flange the next day when I moved the BH in its full range. I'm thinking I may have filled the flange groves so that the buffer ridge never got into the groves. Also it is not clear in the manual if both surfaces, BH and GR, on both flages (BH and GR) should get adhesive. Three days shot. Any help on this problem would be most appreciated.
Many thanks,
Bruce
831 484-9006 (if anyone wants to follow up with a call)

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: U-joint Bellows for 1986 Alpha one, generation one, Mercruiser

your first problem is you are using garbage for repair manuals

do yourself a favor and ditch em for an OEM manual

you are putting the clamp on the bellows, right??

yes, you should just push in on the bell housing and the bellows ridge will "pop" into the groove on the flange - pretty straightforward

one good way to tell is to look into the bellows when you have it on the flange prior to "popping" it on, note how the rigde is even before your final push - may have to hold flashlight in mouth to do this while supporting the bell housing

then "pop" the bellows on and again look into it to ensure you now see an even amount of bellows around the flange, also note on the outside of the bellows that it is on completely

be sure the clamp is between the ridges on the bellows as you tighten it

once the clamp is tight, give a yank on the bell housing, the bellows should be firmly clamped to the flange and not come off

Bruce53

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Dubs.. How about the question of the adhesive?
Tacky or not and exactly on what surfaces.... And finally,
How long would you wait to test full range on BH?

dubs283

Vice Admiral

ahhh, yes...the bellows adhesive "wait" time question

i believe the merc manual tells us to wait ten minutes before attempting to install anything with bellows adhesive

i have never waited to install parts with bellows adhesive, i don't have the time for that - just apply it to the ridge on the BELLOWS and istall it

as far as testing if your bellows install is successful, right after you tighten the clamp, yank straight out (aft) on the bell housing, you will know if it fails

Bruce53

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Dubs... I will go that way.