Racor on vacuum side of TBI pump

Glasply

Cadet
Looking to add a fuel water separator between my tank and the vac side of a 350 tbi pump. I've got the bracket for the merc. cartridge style, plus the racor spin-on with the solid well on bottom (a replacement filter for the standard merc/sierra stock part). The filter used to be on the carb'd engine with mechanical fuel pump.

If I plumb this in, will I be putting too much strain on the fi pump? They're a few hundred apiece, so I'd like to get some solid input. Details-- 13" tank p/u, 3/8" line about 20" to fuel pump that sits about even with top of tank, so 13" max head. 15" up in hard line to flare x flare inline fuel filter.

Thanks,

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: Racor on vacuum side of TBI pump

so you upgraded your mercruiser carbed engine to TBI??

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... A 350 injected motor should Already have a cannister filter mounted on it...

Glasply

Cadet

Yes, upgraded from a dog tired 305 to a nice new 350 tbi.

And yes, it's got a filter on the pressure side of the pump, inline on the hard fuel line, but I'd like a fuel water separator too.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

And yes, it's got a filter on the pressure side of the pump,

You shouldn't have any filters after the pump. Especially with a high pressure line for fuel injection.

Glasply

Cadet

Little delay in my reply, sorry. I tend to look at the site while I'm working on the boat, and I've been busy with other things.

Well, I know what you mean regarding filters after the pump, but that's not the case with GM's tbi system, at least not always. When I was a kid working on indmar/mastercrafts, the GM tbi system was standard on the new models. It used the canister filter (delco gf626) in line from the tank before the pump. However, the monsoon/ski supreme's ran the filter after the pump, next to the throttle body. The Kodiak engine I'm running is factory set up with the same filter on the pressure side mounted by the throttle body. This is accepted, USCG approved, and follows in the design of the GM truck line, where the pump is in the tank and the filter is in line on the frame rail.

What it isn't however, is a fuel/water separator. And because I have an 80 gallon tank and no supply of non-ethanol tainted gas, I get water build up. I'd like to mount a Racor on the stringer on the vacuum side, but I worry about straining the pump. I think unless someone really waves me off, I'm gonna try it. Wet dinosaur doesn't burn and it's left me dead in the water in the past.