Warning alarm before engine starts

Bradsedgwick

Cadet
I am getting a warning alarm every time I start my 2003 chaparral 183 with a 4.3 mercruiser...all fluid levels are good...the alarm is constant and does not stop until the engine has turned over 2 or 3 times...it never sounds when running...to me, I would guess this is a bad sensor, right? The problem is that I'm not sure where this sensor is or which wires to pull out to test it...any help, thoughts, or pictures would be great thanks!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Warning alarm before engine starts

no oil pressure sensor?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There are 3 things that cause an alarm on your engine (assuming it's a carbed engine) High temp, low gear lube, and low oil pressure.
When you first turn the key on, there is 0 oil pressure, which causes the alarm to sound. When you start cranking the engine, it starts building up oil pressure, and the alarm stops.
It sound like your system is working normal.

Bradsedgwick

Cadet

So if I turn the key to the on position the alarm is suppose to sound non stop...that doesn't seem right...it does this even when I go to restart it after its already been running...

Don S

So if I turn the key to the on position the alarm is suppose to sound non stop...
Yes, there is no timer on the oil pressure any more. There was for a few years, but they had a high failure rate.

.it does this even when I go to restart it after its already been running...
With the engine off, it only takes a second or so for the oil pressure to drop to zero.

Bradsedgwick

Cadet

Ok...I'll take your word for it but it sure is unreasonably annoying...thanks

Don S

Ok...I'll take your word for it but it sure is unreasonably annoying...thanks

A Blown engine because you didn't notice the oil pressure was low is a lot more annoying.