97' 4.3L v6 Mercruiser I/O Slow plane and acceleration

nickbmx25

Recruit
I bought a 1997 VIP Deckliner with a 4.3L Mercruiser I/O. The previous owner had it sitting for 5-6 years but ran the engine every couple of months. The engine sounds great revs out good but it takes a long time to get onto a plane. It eventually gets upto about 40 mph but takes a long time(approx20-30 seconds). I was told that it might be the prop but this boat has less than 100 hours on it and the prop looks good, and still has factory coating on it. I opened the carb thinking it was accelerator pump, cleaned everything out but same problem. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

cr2k

Captain
Re: 97' 4.3L v6 Mercruiser I/O Slow plane and acceleration

You have posted in the OUTBOARD section.

kewlkatdady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

when you're at WOT and running "40 mph"...what are the RPMs?

...and really 40 mph doesn't sound bad for a deck boat with a 4.3L...

is the carb a 2BBL or 4BBL?

nickbmx25

Recruit

I apologize for posting in the wrong area, I am new to the forums. Anyways the top speed is not the issue i feel the top speed is appropriate for the boat, it is the acceleration that is slow. The RPMS at WOT is about 4500 and the boat in a 2bbl carb.
Thanks for your time!

NHGuy

Captain

Is the fuel old? Bottom dirty? Heavily loaded, heavy at stern? If all the weight is astern move some of it forward for takeoff.
Here's how to operate the trim. on lift off start out with the drive all the way down, roll on the power. Now as the boat gathers speed and begins to plane out raise the trim a little bit at a time, it's a feel thing. You want to raise the nose of the boat a bit to reduce drag from contact with the water.
You can't go too high or the motor will overspeed, that's bad-don't overrev the motor. Also raising the trim too high will cause porpoising in some conditions. If she porpoises drop the trim a bit.

kewlkatdady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it is the acceleration that is slow. The RPMS at WOT is about 4500 and the boat in a 2bbl carb.
Thanks for your time!

Any idea what prop you have?

nickbmx25

Recruit

When i got the boat the fuel tank was less than half full and i filled it up it took 22 gals, the tank is a 40 gal tank. I have taken it out 4 times and refill it to the top every time and it takes about 7 gals each time. so i would assume that the gas is not the problem, What do you think? I dont know if the bottom of the tank is dirty. As far as the weight i have tried to load the weight equally, but there is not that much in the boat and there was only 2 people on the boat. we had 6 people on the boat and the problem was much worse. I have not yet done a tune up,(just a new fuel filter/separator) i thought that because there was so few hours on the engine it would not need it. I order the parts in hopes that is the problem. The prop is a 3 blade aluminum 19p. On one of the blades it has tiny dent in it about 1/8th inch. Dont know if that would cause it either. This is my first boat and dont know to much about boats yet. I appreciate your guys time to help. Thanks

waterace

Cadet

nickbmx25,

A few months back, I purchased a '97 Deckliner 215 with a 5.0 Mercuiser and an Alpha 1 @ 1.62 ratio. It took me about 12 to 15 seconds to get it on plane with a 3-blade, 17" pitch Solas SS prop, and the bow pointed way up to the sky before coming onto plane. My top speed on GPS ran 42 mph @ 5,000 rpm (seemed to govern out at that rpm...should run 4,400 to 4,800 at WOT), assuming the tach is correct (I haven't verified its accuracy); also, the boat tended to porpoise occasionally at WOT in both calm and wavy conditions.

The boat would get onto plane around 26 mph with a full tank of fuel and two adults. Because you are planing out at 40 mph, I would bet that you have water in the two outer sections of the hull. When I drilled holes in my haul to install tabs on the stern of the boat (tab installation described below), about 60 gallons of water drained out of each side; and, at 8 pounds per gallon, that is almost 1,000 pounds of water! The Deckliner 215 only has one drain in the center of the stern; it does not have drains in the stern on the outer hull sections, but it probably should. After draining them, I have opened them up a couple of times after boating and they do not had any water in them, but, somehow, water did get into them before (perhaps repeated waves washing over the bow and into the front anchor locker, or some section that isn't sealed).

After some research on props and trim tabs, I decided to first put on some SmartTabs (SX9510-80) a few weeks ago, and what a difference. I now pop onto plane in 5 to 6 seconds with similar weight distribution to the 12 to 15 seconds before installing the tabs! Also, the boat does not porpoise in calm or wavy conditions. The transom runs at an angle, so I could only get the actuator on the most rear-ward hole on the SmartTabs without modifying them. I now run 40 mph @ 5,000 rpm, so I am going to modify the linkage so that I can try running with the actuator in other holes to see if I can gain those 2 mph back; however, I will gladly give up 2 mph for the difference in getting on plane performance that the boat has gained. I paid about $130 for the pair of SmartTabs shipped to my door in Texas.

FYI: Check out this link for an article on a Deckliner 215 with a 4.3 Mercruiser. It shows the boat hitting 43 mph with a 19" pitch prop and trim tabs:
http://features.boats.com/boat-content/2000/08/on-deck/

Based on this article, I am going to try a 21" pitch on my 5.0 Mercruiser. I need to get my WOT down, and I also want to decrease my rpm while staying at minimum planing speed. The first prop that I will be trying is a High Five 21" pitch. I suspect that prop will work well on the tunnel v-pad Deckliner hull, and I am estimating that I will have a top speed of 46 mph with better hole shot and improved ability to maintain minimum planing speed, but I could be mistaken. I should know this weekend if my estimation is true, or not, because the prop arrives in a couple days.

vip215dl

Cadet

What's the latest on your prop? Do you like it?

waterace

Cadet

The 21" pitch HighFive is too much prop. I can only get rpm up to 3,600, so I need to swap it for a 19" or even a 17"; otherwise, I do like how it performs compared to my 3-blade SS Solas.

Trooper583

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey man, Ive got a Rinker 21' open bow. It has the 4.3 L Merc engine with the alpha 1 drive, no trim tabs. I'm not exactly sure what pitch prop I have but I'm thinking its probably a 19 or so. with a full tank of fuel (40 gallons) and my wife and I on board, I can get 51 or so mph out of it on GPS at WOT. It will also pull me up on skis (6'4" 215) with no problem. On my drive I have what's called a hydrofoil, or some guys call it a whale fine. It basically adds some surface area to your drive so that when you start trimming, the fin gives you extra lift, thus getting you up on plane much, much faster. This would be an extremely cheap way to start trying to diagnose your problem. By the way, my boat will plane out really fast, like 4 or 5 seconds I can also cruise on plane all the way down to about 20 mph. HOpe this helps.

nickbmx25

Recruit

waterace,
do you think you can post pictures of the smart tabs in stalled on your boat. very interested in purchasing. Thank you for your info.