1968 mercruiser how do I remove gimbal hing pins?

Jim Fish

Recruit
I am trying to replace the three bellows for the transom to stern drive have new parts but am stuck trying to take apart bell housing to gimbal pins. the book says use tool #------ found tool #------ it's wrong tool !!! my hinge pins are held in with a large long nail than maybe they will unscrew with proper tool , how do i remove the nails? heads sticking out to short to grab,cant push out from behind,cant get there.help !

ziggy

Admiral
Re: 1968 mercruiser how do I remove gimbal hing pins?

ya see the head of the nail. the other end just slightly protrudes from the other side of the gimble ring. it's bent over into a slot in the gimble ring. un bend the nail and hopefully you'll be able to start it coming out the end with the head of the nail. once the nail is removed. use a slide hammer with a 1/4-28 (?) tread into the pin and slam hammer it out.

this applies to both my 72 and 75 mc-1 drive. if yer's is a mc-1 it should apply also.

ya need to get mercruiser service manual #1 from somewhere. i got mine off ebay. c-90-68648...

be careful with your nails too. i think they are nla...

Jim Fish

Recruit

thank you thats what i thought,i wasnt sure about the nails. I found 1 picture showing slide hammer removing pin,not one word about nail removal thank you again

fishforfun2

Cadet

I have the same outdrive and my nails are really stuck!I bent them straight got the pins to more in and out a bit but am not able to get the pins to come out because of salt water use.I heated the area and drilled the head off one and tried to use a punch,still not moving.Need to either heat more or drill out?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You need to start a new thread of your own, not hijack some elses old thread for your question.