Boat won't start, just clicks

DaveRR

Recruit
I've had the boat winterized and it sat in the garage for the winter. I've never used this boat, because I bought it very late in the Fall. I charged the battery and put the two wire connectors on the + and _ poles. The two ground wires are tapped on the large battery poles. I turn the key and all I get is "clicking".

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Boat won't start, just clicks

Make sure motor is not locked up by turning over manually. I would also pull the starter and have it tested... they do get corroded. If you are taking the starter in to be checked you can have the battery tested too. Check the battery cables at the battery, and the starter. Both positive and negative leads. Good place to start.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Boat won't start, just clicks

I've had the boat winterized and it sat in the garage for the winter. I've never used this boat, because I bought it very late in the Fall. I charged the battery and put the two wire connectors on the + and _ poles. The two ground wires are tapped on the large battery poles. I turn the key and all I get is "clicking".

Ayuh,... It's probably corroded wiring connections,...
They're ALL suspect, both positives, 'n Grounds..
Remove, sand, clean to Shiney metal, reinstall, 'n grease 'em to stop the corrosion...

If cleaning the wiring connections don't fix it,...
Load test the battery...