In boat replacement of Freeze Plug

mjolensk

Recruit
I'm a reasonably good back-yard mechanic who has purchased an older boat to test the waters of boating life. I have to work on the boat on the trailer , out doors and limited lifting capabilities from above. I have successfully rebuilt several car engines, including freeze plugs, but this is the first boat inboard motor. I have to replace the freeze plugs on a 1975 OMC 190HP Ford engine .... the ones behind the front engine mounts. These mounts are the select-trim hydraulic mounts. I do not have a manual and am hoping that I can JACK / Support the motor from the side of the engine and remove the engine mount to make the repair rather than lift the engine out of the boat. I'm looking for suggestions / comments before I start. What do I have to watch out for? Is there enough flex in the rear moints to allow this? I would also like to know if the SELOC manuls I see on line would cover the engine removal / repair along with the stern drive portion .... or is there a better source for this information?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: In boat replacement of Freeze Plug

Well consider the season and the warmer weather. If you want to do it fast and in place why not use an expandable plug from an auto parts store. They are fast and easy. When the season ends you can concentrate on doing it right. <br /><br />Just trying to get you on the water faster.<br /><br />Bob

mjolensk

Recruit

The problem is that I can't get at the freeze plugs because they are behind the hydraulic motor mounts. Doesn't look like room for a rubber expansion plug. After investigating further, it looks like I have to support the engine somehow and remove both hydraulic mounts at the same time, not one at a time.

Wellcraft 89

Petty Officer 2nd Class

let us ask a dumb question ,did it freeze and pop out or are they corroded and your just changing them.<br />If they popped because of frozen,I'd be checking other areas before putting time involved to replace these. Is, was water in the oil ?<br />you may have a cracked block or head.<br /><br />Just my 2 cents,maybe save you the agrivation of doing this and then having to pull the motor anyway.<br /><br />Rich

mjolensk

Recruit

There is no water in the engine oil or the stern drive. Engine runs smooth with hose connected for short period of time ..... appears to be no apparent damage other than freeze plugs ...can't see behind the mounts .... have found a way to support the engine & will give it a go this weekend!<br />Thanks

16Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

you may screw up engine alignment doing that then you have outdrive bearing issues

flashback

Captain

I've never had an OMC so this is purely a guess, but I think you have what is called a "stringer" where the drive bolts directly to the bellhousing so i don't think alignment is a problem like it is on a merc... remember this is just a guess...so if you can safely support the engine, you should be able to pull the trim cylinders and fix your plugs........

DHPMARINE

Captain

Hey backyard Happy Fourth!!<br />Try this...trim up fully,support motor (4x4 and chain across boat,or blocks under).Unbolt both hydraulic units from the deck (stringers,hence the name).Now trim down,and the units will raise up off the stringers.Disconnect the hydraulic lines on the side you need to work on.Disconnect the upper part of mount,get the unit out of the way,do your COREplug job.(sorry there is no such thing as a freeze plug on any engine you or I will ever work on.)Just a minor point I will never change the masses about.<br />DHP

mlslocks

Seaman Apprentice

DHP<br />He is trying to support his Ford engine. How is trimming up going to help?

DHPMARINE

Captain

mlslocks I might have missed some here,but do you know that old OMC drives trimmed by hydraulic motor mounts?<br />DHP

mlslocks

Seaman Apprentice

No I didn't know. So this proves I should only comment on things I've acually worked on.

DHPMARINE

Captain

mlslocks No,it means you should see the stringer drive system.It is a real piece of work,maybe even 'ART'.<br />For Tilt or Trailering,the outdrive goes up and down,similar to Mercruiser.<br />For trim the whole motor goes up and down on these hydraulic mounts.<br />When I describe this system at the local watering hole to my non-boating friends they say ya....right....<br />DHP

Bondo

Staff member

It is a real piece of work,maybe even 'ART'.
It Must be Art......<br />Because it Never Worked worth a $h!t........... :D