1978 Mercruiser 233 gimbal bearing

89cruisers

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey there everyone, been since last fall when I posted last, since then I have purchased a ford 351 w/4 barrel to put into my wellcraft which a previous owner had put in a 302 which was underpowered. While the engine is out, I want everything to be new. I will be putting on a new engine coupler, along with a new gimbal bearing From what ive read, I can just knock out the old bearing without spending $$$ on a "gimbal bearing remover" I have some confusion on what exactly to purchase. according to merstuff it says that the gimbal bearing will not fit "older boats" Does my 78 count as a older boat? and should I buy the gimbal bearing and ring? Here is the link to the page http://mercstuff.com/page08.htm I should be able to hit the new bearing into place as well? but am aware I will still need an engine alignment tool.

Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1978 Mercruiser 233 gimbal bearing

Ayuh,... # 2100 should fit yer boat, 'n the motor mounts you ask about in your other thread are right there on the same page...

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: 1978 Mercruiser 233 gimbal bearing

You will need a good set of snap-ring pliers to get the gimbal bearing out. Just an FYI.