Hit a stum. Prop won't turn at all when in gear. Is there a keyway like and outboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayBird88

Cadet
I think it was a stump right under the surface. I was going maybe 5 mph but it hit hard enough that the engine reved and the prop won't turn now. I was wondering if it maybe sheard a keyway or something similar to it like an outboard has. This is an Alpha I Mercruiser with a 4.3 engine.

cribber

Lieutenant
Re: Hit a stum. Prop won't turn at all when in gear. Is there a keyway like and outbo

You've got a spun hub most likely on your alpha drive. Put the boat in gear while it is off and see if you can spin the prop. If it moves take it to a shop and get it re-hubbed.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Hit a stum. Prop won't turn at all when in gear. Is there a keyway like and outbo

With the engine OFF and the shifter in gear, try to spin the prop by hand. If the prop turns but the prop nut doesn't turn, you've got a damaged prop hub. You can remove the prop and have it repaired.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... It's probably 1 of 3 things,...

As noted above, the prop Hub might be blown, or the motor Coupler might be blown, or the vertical shaft of the lower unit sheared off at the o-ring groove near the top, where it fits into the upper unit gear...

JimKW

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got my prop rehubbed for less than $50, including shipping, from a place in Michigan. I posted the name of the place on this forum back in June of last year. Can not remember the name of the place off the top of my head.

Here is the thread where I tell the name of the place:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=415747

E_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bond-o, you stole the words right out of my mouth.

JayBird, I'm leaning on this exact cause as well. Here are a couple of questions to help us help you.
1. Is the installed prop stainless steal or aluminum?
2. What is the condition of the prop now?

or the vertical shaft of the lower unit sheared off at the o-ring groove near the top, where it fits into the upper unit gear...

Did that last year, bent the shaft..

Insurance company was nice enough to purchase a new bottom half for my lower unit... best $26/mo investment I've ever made!

JayBird88

Cadet

The Prop wasn't damaged at all. Just to clarify...it will turn by hand easily, even when in gear. The motor won't turn the prop at all. The prop is not spinning on the shaft either. The shaft is spinning when I turn it by hand. Is this still a re-hubb issue?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Drop the lower unit,...
My guess is, the problem will be staring you in the face...

E_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jaybird,

I second that and highly suggest you do this. Should take you 10-15 minutes.

Ayuh,... Drop the lower unit,...
My guess is, the problem will be staring you in the face...

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

could remove top cap from outdrive and place drive in gear.rotate prop by hand and whilst looking in see if gears are rotating.if not you've probably sheared verticle shaft splines(as bondo stated)at the o-ring and splines will be left in the gear.let us know

JayBird88

Cadet

I'll try that first for sure. That's much easier than dropping the lower unit. Although, I'm getting pretty darn good at that with all the practice here lately, lol. I'm guessing it's not the verticle shaft splines just because it's so easy to turn the prop by hand. It doesn't feel like it's turning anything but the prop shaft. But, I'll check it out and let you know. Thanks for the help!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

the prop shaft will only turn the driveshaft if you shift into gear.shift into fwd and turn the prop counterclockwise.
look at the back of the engine and see if the shaft turns,yes,coupler, no drive internals

Attachments

• MC1.jpg
    MC1.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 3

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just pull the outdrive,, you would have been done by now.

Hammer2141

Recruit
I just did the same thing. Hit a stump and now shaft rotates freely while in gear or not. It was suggested to remove the top cap and look at it. I really hate to admit this but I have no idea how. Any suggestions for directions to do this and also how to drop lower unit if necessary? Also, what exactly am I looking for? Thanks for any help in advance.

Hammer2141

Recruit
Forgot to mention. I have a 2002 Larson runabout with a 4.3 Volvo Penta with I believe a stern drive. Sorry, but I’m really ignorant about boats

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I just did the same thing. Hit a stump and now shaft rotates freely while in gear or not. It was suggested to remove the top cap and look at it. I really hate to admit this but I have no idea how. Any suggestions for directions to do this and also how to drop lower unit if necessary? Also, what exactly am I looking for? Thanks for any help in advance.

Start a new thread on your problem. This one is ancient.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.