Can't remove starter motor bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWTobias

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone have any advice for removing the bolt closest to the flywheel on a volvo-penta I/O small block chevy (5.0L) engine? I spent all day trying to get it off. I used some liquid wrench but the problem is more that I can't get any sort of wrench, socket, etc around the head of the bolt and have enough room to loosen it. Sockets won't fit due to the closeness to part of the engine block, a socket simply won't fit over the head of the bolt. The bolt-head is a 9/16ths and I can get my open-end wrench over it but there is literally no room to turn it. I was able to get the other bolt out, it was slightly seized up but with a cheater bar it came loose. I finally gave up. ANY tricks, tips, etc would be GREATLY appreciated before I tow the boat to the repair shop. This is something I ought to be able to do I'm sure, I just can't figure out what tool to use to get it off.

Thanks, Steve

rickryder

Commander
Re: Can't remove starter motor bolt

I just did the starter on my 5.7 Merc...... same issue. I used a 1/2'' breaker bar with the 1/2"-3/8" drive adaptor and a thin wall deep 9/16" socket. I was able to get the bolt to break free by tightening it first and then backing off... once it was free a 3/8" ratchet got it the rest of the way out.

It is a tough spot to get to but can be done.

cobalt1999

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have been there and done that, The service manual will advise you to remove the flywheel shield (ring gear guard) before removing the starter.

cr2k

Captain

Removing the above mentioned shield will yield enough clearance for a socket. Either way a PITA.

rickryder

Commander

So did you get that bolt out???

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Penetrating oil may be a waste of time because the bolt is so long, you won't actually get the oil on the threads.

Titus4

Recruit

Had the same problem, bought a cheap socket and ground it down on the bench grinder to make it a thin wall. Worked for me, just take off enough material to make it fit, otherwise it might be too thin and crack before loosening the stubborn bolt. Good luck

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to iboats Titus, please don't reply to old posts. This one is almost 2 months old. I'm sure he has either got if off, or gave up and sold the boat by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.