2.5L OMC Chevy engine starter problem HELP PLEASE!!!

slider101

Cadet
I have a 1976 OMC 2.5L inline 4cylinder that I am trying to get running. Had starter rebuilt over a year ago but stopped working on it and it all sat. Been working hard the last week and finally got it to crank and run today. Took along time to get to run after changing points, distributor cap, fuel pump, thermostat and now it ran today!!!! And then out of the blue the starter just stopped turning the engine. You can hear it spin but does not turn flywheel. Take starter out and connect and the bendix kicks out and spins. Tried to put resistence on the spinning gear and cant stop it from spinning. Put it back in the engine and all you hear is starter spinning. I can turn the engine over by hand at crankshaft so it is not seized. It is a Delco/Remy starter that has the solenoid that engages the lever to engage the bendix. ANyone have any ideas?? Please help!!!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 2.5L OMC Chevy engine starter problem HELP PLEASE!!!

ANyone have any ideas??

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,...

Donno why, but there's gotta be a reason it ain't connecting...

jeff_coombs

Cadet

Can you see the teeth? Did any break off??

slider101

Cadet

Nope all teeth on the bendix and the flywheel. I am afraid I may have over worked the starter cause this is the first time I have tried to crank the engine since I have bought it 3 years ago. Project boat and the man before never cranked it cause he was going to rebuild. I worked the starter pretty hard. Maybe I weakened the coil?

cannonford57

Petty Officer 1st Class

if its one of the smaller geared starters its possible you damaged the nylon/plastic ring gear that ties the 3 smaller gears together.sometimes ie you get a starter real hot by cranking a lot it will strip the inside of the ring gear

jeff_coombs

Cadet

Go grab another one. Give it a try and if it doesn't work you can always return it right??

Overkill82k5

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm with Cannon on this one. I had the exact same issue with my starter,but it was because of the engine hydrolocking. Stripped out the reduction gear (plastic/composite). I was able to find just the ring at a local starter rebuilder place for $10. I replaced it and all was well... Until it hydrolocked again. I ordered a new starter and put that one on. Fixed the hydro problems and got another reduction gear to rebuild the stripped starter again, to keep on board as a spare. If you can find the ring, it's not too hard to replace it. Just takes some patience and time to align everything back up and get it all back together.

zbnutcase

Commander

Had the ring gear come loose and just spin on the flywheel once on a 3.0L

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If the solenoid pulls the bendix lever but the starter doesn't turn the engine the bendix is shot. It is after all, a one way clutch. If the bendix is not physically engaging the flywheel, then something is binding and it will likely be the solenoid since that's what moves the lever.