Milky oil 2.5l OMC coming off from Winterizing

capeless

Cadet
I am new to I/O boats, but am pretty handy when it comes to auto's and anything with an engine.

My boat is a 1986 Cobia Sportster 172 vbr. It has a GM 2.5l OMC. Thats all I really know at this point.

I just bought this boat, I pulled a noob move and forgot to check the oil. I think I'm screwed, but hopeful still. I live in Maine and it is still cold so I do not want to hook it up to muffs yet due to freezing temps. I was told it is winterized and there is proof of empty RV coolant bottles. We started the boat but only let it run for a couple seconds due to not using muffs.

There is still a large amount of ice below the engine. It looks like the oil pan may have been partially submerged where water could have come in the oil drain plug or the dipstick tube??? Condensation??

The water may have been higher in which it could have come in through a vent of some sort but I have no evidence of that.

This is a preliminary panic post, I haven't drained/refilled the oil yet because I can't gain access until the ice melts.

This may sound dumb, but what does oil look like after the engine has been "fogged" or winterized?

By the way, this site has a ton of useful info. I will be referencing it often. Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Milky oil 2.5l OMC coming off from Winterizing

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Is the plug now out of the hull,..??
Is it draining on warmer days,..??

Donno if you've got a Stringer 400, or a Cobra drive, but either way,...
Now you need a new raw waterpump impeller, as runnin' it Dry ruins 'em...

Locate the Block, 'n Manifold drains on the portside of the motor, 'n Open 'em....
Hopefully, antifreeze runs out, or it was stored Dry....

Oil, should look like Oil....

What's the oil Level,..??

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I was told it is winterized and there is proof of empty RV coolant bottles.

That's not always reliable proof.......but you probably ought'a prove it to yourself. change the oil and run it.....if you still suspect cooling sys leaks....do a pressure check of the cooling system......

capeless

Cadet

Yes the plug is out, it is draining on warmer days. I can see the sump and it is still about 4" below the ice. The ice right now is about 1/2" below the oil pan. I will try to figure out which drive I have, that will come in handy. Thanks for the location of the drains, I will check them this weekend. The oil level is at it's normal "full" mark. I am going to buy a manual and start replacing fluids in the next couple of weeks.

The engine only ran for litterally 2 maybe 3 seconds, do you really think that would ruin the impellar? I do know the impellar was new... I hope I don't have to replace it again.

I wasn't sure if there was an additive that was commonly put in oil for winterizing that would discolor it. Thats all I meant by that.

I also know that the last owner only used it in fresh water for a few years, but there are signs of salt water use by a different owner.

Thanks for your input. I look forward to posting my findings after I get a chance to check drain plugs, change the oil, hook it up to muffs, and test compression.

capeless

Cadet

I know you all have been eagerly awaiting the results of my testing, lol...

Anyway, it looks to be positive right now. I got the ice out of the hull below the engine and I noticed the oil drain plug/pump tube were on finger tight. I drained the oil, replaced filter, and refilled with cheapie oil and a can of seafoam. I hooked it up to the muffs and ran it for about an hour varying from idle to higher rpms. The temp guage stayed between ~145 to 180*. I checked the oil after and it looked clean. No signs of water.

I haven't run it under load yet, so I am not 100% certain I am in the clear but I feel positive. I am hoping the the oil was in the water due to the cover breaking over the winter allowing water, snow, and ice to fill the hull.

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

Now that you have run the engine, make sure you drain all the water out as I'm sure you will still have freezing temps for a while.