Power trim pump fluid?

rhillman75

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1996 Sylvan 196 with a Mercruiser 4.3 LX Gen+. I went to change all of the fluids today and I notived that the trim pump resevoir had "creamy milkshake that appears to be oil." I used my Mighty Vac to suck everything out, then the manual stated to use ATF!?! I went ahead and filled it with ATF to the right level... but now it seems to be "leaking." Please tell me I did not screw up a seal by using the wrong stuff. I did take both lines of to remove all the fluid and I had a foam cushing under the transom when it slowly came to the ground to rest. The pump still works, I just can't figure out why it is leaking. Both lines are tight and thats where I had suspected the leak but I was wrong.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Power trim pump fluid?

Ayuh,... ATF is Fine,...
My guess is, the seal/ o-ring between the motor, 'n the tank is bad/ loose....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

then the manual stated to use ATF!?!

Odd, Mercruiser recommends engine oil in the manuals I have, which manual are you looking at?

24 Albie

Recruit

The label on my pump says to use "10W-30" engine oil

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Drive/ motor manufacturers have recommended various oils for trim pumps over the years,...
All of 'em use various, but Very Similar pumps...
All of 'em are the Simplest of hydraulic motors...
And,...
ALL of 'em will operate just Fine with about any commonly found oils, up to about 50W...
Although, usually, thinner is Better...
hence, ATF will work Just Fine....

That's My Opinion, devoloped from years of Hydraulic experience.....;)

rhillman75

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I actually have the Clymer Service Manual I bought from the dealer. I states to use ATF in the trim pump, but... if I follow what the "owners manual for Mercruiser states... it should be 10W30. Either way... I pumped out the ATF and changed it back to 10W30, and guess what... no leaks this time around.