1968 Bayliner Discovery w/ Mercruiser 120

ATVBing

Cadet
Hi folks.

This was a gift and not familiar with outdrives at all.

The engine is new along with the bellows, but apparently when the previous owner took it for a ride to break the engine in there was a leak somewhere at the transom.

Any ideas?

From what I see the rest of the boat just needs a buff and wax and maybe eventually some new floor covering. I am really surprised at the conditon of the boat for 43 years old. Even the vinyl top is in great shape.

I plan to blast and hot dip galvanize the trailer. Other than a little surface rust,,it's as solid as the hull of the boat.

010.jpg012.jpg006.jpg003.jpg002.jpg

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: 1968 Bayliner Discovery w/ Mercruiser 120

does water come in if you DON'T run the engine?
i.e. launch the boat.....just let it float for 30 minutes and look.

If water only comes in while engine is running, you can suspect manifold, hoses, water jacket drain plugs, core plugs etc on the engine, as well as the exhaust piping and hoses

If water comes in with engine off, then you have a bellows problem (check shift cable bellows for proper clamping to the cable), gimbal housing, or transom issue, or even drain plug issue.
new bellows would be my first check - see if they got installed right.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

Go stick her in the lake.. Make sure your bilge pump works.. Keep it on the trailer... Stick your head in there with a flashlight

I love the classics.. That's a awesome gift.. That looks like a factory flag socket on the back.. Very cool

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... It does look to be in Showroom New condition,...

as noted above, the Only way to find a leak, is LOOK...

ziggy

Admiral

The engine is new along with the bellows, but apparently when the previous owner took it for a ride to break the engine in there was a leak somewhere at the transom.

Any ideas?
hs has some good idea. my thought would be that if it didn't leak before. that something that got serviced is the culprit. like the things hs mentioned...
looking is how you'll find the leak. + keep in mind, fluids always run downhill. so follow the water till ya don't see it anymore. surely the leak will be close by.

very very nice looking boat... ya done well for a gift.

and not familiar with outdrives at all.
get a mercrusier service manual. you'll want #1. that'll help ya get familiar. + read a lot of iboats.. ;)

pvmtsux

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is the transom itself in good shape? If the transom is rotten or cracked it will just let the water in.
Check the transom out behind your motor where your outdrive brackets in.

ATVBing

Cadet

Is the transom itself in good shape? If the transom is rotten or cracked it will just let the water in.
Check the transom out behind your motor where your outdrive brackets in.

the transom and hull is solid as can be.