Exhaust Manifold Leaks

ronjon444

Seaman
Just bought a 1981 Mercruiser 260 I/O. It has developed a crack in the exhaust manifold. The previous owner did attempt to repair it with JB weld. I am in need of a replacement manifold and also for recomendations to a place to purchase.

ronjon444

Seaman
Re: Exhaust Manifold Leaks

One additional question...Is this a major job? It does not look very difficult...any tricks?

motox6

Petty Officer 3rd Class

e-bay is a good choice boat junk yard, exhaust manifold are basically modified automobile exhaust manifolds, bolts a few nuts and gaskets easy repair.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I personally would not recommend a used manifold, unless sure of its condition. I suppose those used in fresh water may be fine, but I boat exclusively in salt water and would RUN away from a used manifold! Do a search online and you can get some reasonable, (that's a relative term of course :p ), prices on new manifolds.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

RonJon44, I agree with using a new manifold. In the freshwater of Michigan, they will last 20 years or so before rotting out. They are easy to find and purchase, although I have not found any great discount on price to be had. The marine manifolds are alot different than the automotive type, since they are water cooled. Use new marine gaskets on the block and riser. The removal/installation is equivalent to an automotive procedure, with the only danger is if the bolts are corroded into the block.

Blk-n-Blu

Master Chief Petty Officer

Ron, try ebasicpower.com for good pricing and no tax or shipping on most orders.

ronjon444

Seaman

I bought a new one I don't want any hassles with a used one. I am putting it in tonight and will update final results...thanks for the input ALL.

ronjon444

Seaman

I bought a new one from my local marina and the price is the same as I could find online. Plus I had the service department confirm most of your thoughts, NEW, not used and no sealant just TIGHT bolts. I don't want any hassles with a used one. I am putting it in tonight and will update final results...thanks for the input ALL.

ronjon444

Seaman

I installed the new manifold. I decided to take it to the bench and clean all the paint from the contact points. It was best done on the bench and not in the boat. One of the riser nuts was frozen up. The riser clamps on the rubber boot did drip little but put a good tightening and all is dry. Thanks for all the great input.

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

Ron, How was thermostat? I found that the marine 'stats are about 20 degrees (rating) cooler.

ronjon444

Seaman

The thermostat seemed fine, it ran slightly cooler until I had my timing and dwell adjusted. It seems to run in the middle of the temp green range now and actually runs better now.