1988 OMC alternator

Rusty75459

Recruit
I have a 1988 Four Winns 245 Vista with an OMC 5.7L engine. It has a 3 wire Motorola alternator. Is there a cross reference guide so I can buy one from an auto parts store?

Thanks,

Rusty

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: 1988 OMC alternator

Try NAPA, and give em part # 18-6260 for the correct one. DO NOT let them talk you into a automotive one, has to be marine.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It has to be marine, and the REASON it has to be marine is for spark protection. You don't want to ignite any vapors in your engine compartment with an open, unprotected alternator.

Lodgepole

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know what your problem is but sometimes a good rebuilder costs a lot less than a new one. Worked for me.

Rusty75459

Recruit

I don't know what your problem is but sometimes a good rebuilder costs a lot less than a new one. Worked for me.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I've found one that is "totally rebuilt" on ebay; no warranty, $100 plus shipping, 100% feedback. How does that sound to you guys?

Silly Seville

Rusty, welcome to iboats! Before sending your money to the ebay seller (without a warranty) try contacting a nearby shop that specializes in this type of repair. Many places offer rebuild services which, in my opinion, is far better money spent because you will get YOUR alternator back with the correct parts replaced for a fraction of a new one. On my Delco, I had the bearings and brushes replaced, commutator cleaned, pulley polished and bench tested for under $50. At the very least, have it tested to see what part is actually the problem, then proceed from there. It may be very simple and cheap to effectively repair, as it was in my case. Cheers!

Rusty75459

Recruit

Thanks Seville & Cheers to you too! I went to the local Autozone & I knew I was in trouble when the kids behind the counter said "Motorola - That's a phone company!" They tried testing the unit but couldn't figure it out...
We used to have a local shop that did this type of work but they have since closed; I'll look around for someone else. I'd feel much better getting my own part back...

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

Thanks Seville & Cheers to you too! I went to the local Autozone & I knew I was in trouble when the kids behind the counter said "Motorola - That's a phone company!" They tried testing the unit but couldn't figure it out...
We used to have a local shop that did this type of work but they have since closed; I'll look around for someone else. I'd feel much better getting my own part back...

Someone close will rebuild it.(lots of those around still). Might just be a bad voltage regulator... I use to have a way to test for that... It bypassed it.. You have to have it on the engine of course... Dang I forgot all the cool stuff.. Anyway.. the shop will be able to test it

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

With stuff like this I prefer to buy local, if you can't find a good rebuilder, then find a boat shop that sells aftermarket stuff like Sierra or Arco, buy it there, if you have a problem you can easily take it back, no shipping hassles....for my starter, I have a Sierra and an MES as a spare....still running the OE alternator. I also like to keep a couple of spare solenoids around, if they get wet with salt water they tend to get sticky and not work when you need em too....

sethjon

I have a 1988 Four Winns 245 Vista with an OMC 5.7L engine. It has a 3 wire Motorola alternator. Is there a cross reference guide so I can buy one from an auto parts store?

Thanks,

Rusty

You want a marine alt.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

Thanks Joshua. I've found one & I'll take it down Monday.

Your welcome sir... Here is somemore advice.. Sometimes them guys cost more than a new one.. Get ya a estimate.. A new aftermarket runs around a $150... If they can fix it for around $50-80 bucks.. Thats a pretty good way too go.. If it gets too close to the $150 range, just get a new aftermarket...

Good luck