How to remove old gimbal ring to replace pins (Mercruiser Alpha 1)

Mercruiser 3.0 liter Alpha 1 drive:

Now that I have the whole transom assembly off and on a bench I have gotten the old bellows off, will do the gimbal bearing but would like to replace the gimbal pins while I am at it.
Is there a trick to getting the cotter pin out and removing the bottom pin or do I simply start bashing with whatever is handy?
The bottom pin appears to be steel (very rusted) and the gimbal ring of course is aluminum.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: How to remove old gimbal ring to replace pins (Mercruiser Alpha 1)

Mercruiser 3.0 liter Alpha 1 drive:

Is there a trick to getting the cotter pin out and removing the bottom pin or do I simply start bashing with whatever is handy?
The bottom pin appears to be steel (very rusted) and the gimbal ring of course is aluminum.

That can be very difficult, and you have to be very careful not to break the flanges on the gimbal housing, especially if the pin is rusty. The question is, do you need to remove the gimbal ring in the first place? If not, you may not have to mess with the bottom swivel pin. that pin is fixed in place and the gimbal ring turns on either a roller bearing or bushing in the bottom of the ring. There should be a grease fitting for the bearing. If it is tight and moves freely, you might not want to mess with it. The up and down clearance is set by the nut on the upper swivel pin, not the lower pin. Anyway just bashing would probably be unwise, if the whole thing is apart already it might be wise just to take it to a shop and have them press it out. Good luck.