MC-1 bellows replacement Mercruiser 165

CaptRon66

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I will be replacing all bellows on a MC-1 Mercruiser 165 inline 6 . The boat is a 1971. Bell housing was replaced 5 years ago. It appears the drive shaft bellows I need have no ridge(judging by pictures I've seen on the net of 1972 and older) . How do you tell when they are on all the way? Any words of advice on the drive shaft bellows? With the 1973 and later bellows I can feel when the ridge seats in the groove. Done a bunch of them on Alphas.

Can an exhaust tube be used instead of bellows? Are they all the same part for MC-1 and the Alpha drives?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: MC-1 bellows replacement Mercruiser 165

Bell housing was replaced 5 years ago.

Ayuh,... The 2 differences are, those With a rib, 'n those Without...
Can an exhaust tube be used instead of bellows? Are they all the same part for MC-1 and the Alpha drives?
Yes, I believe so...

CaptRon66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm probably beating a dead horse here...but, Iboats has the exhaust tube listed as 1983 and up R,MR,Alpha 1. Before I order I just want to be positive I can put the exhaust tube on a 71 Mercruiser 1. It didn't look like you were sure by your answer Bondo, or I interpreted it wrong. Is anyone running their old Mercruisers with exhaust tubes? Can it be used on my 71?

brntrt

Cadet

I have a 1978 225 mercruiser with a exhaust cuff/tube and works just fine, just a little bit more noise when running on the hose. Order it, you should be fine.