Mercruiser 888, 302 Ford questions? Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmimc1973

Cadet
Im restoring my first boat. Its a 1973 22' Reinell Cuddy Cabin ( Hardtop). 302 Ford Mercruiser 888. I am gutting it all the way, will post a restoration thread later as I progress. Stripping rotten stringers out and foam right now. As to the drive now,,,,

Motor runs, but,,,, one (freeze,lol) plug was out. Since its all coming out, as the transom has got some damage although not much. Im trying to decide about the motor and 888 drive. the 888 is in great shape, all tho I have no idea how what the rated HP is on the merc 888. Heres my thinking.
1- 302 if not cracked, if it should be rebuilt.
2- maybe long block 302
3- maybe 351
4- Im sure I cant, but wished could just go 350 Chevy

Even tho motor stuff is down the road. Just interested in knowing what I need to keep my eyes open for. As I have rebuilt chevys, there cheaper, and easier for me, I understand I cant swap for a 350. So I know very little about fords. But 188 Hp does not seem like much for this boat. I was hoping to keep the drive, but if it had to be changed, thats would might be in the picture.
I might sound weird but i really enjoy the restoration part, Still gutting it out at the moment. Any info On best coarse of action on the engine or the drive? Thanks

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mercruiser 888, 302 Ford questions? Thoughts?

#02 is a great engine. Not expensive to rebuild at all. Manifolds, marine fuel pumps, ect might prove to be costly. If engine is shot you might look for a rotten hull with the power plant you want to replace the whole drive train. Sell what you have to offset the cost. You can re-power with almost any engine including the good old 2.3 omc but I would run from that one also. Just look and fin a 5.7 late model hull cheap and junk it. Remove what you need and put it up as a free boat. Someone might haul it off for you.

Bondo

Staff member

Just look and fin a 5.7 late model hull cheap and junk it.

Ayuh,... That's what I'd do....

Mercruiser hasn't used a Ford motor in 35 years....

cr2k

Captain

Yea BUT how much HP will the 888 stand up to? I am not how long it would hold up to a 351.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Like bubba stated how long will it hold up to a 302? Is it a good drive or living on borrowed time?If you are redoing the boat a repower will make all the sense in the world now. You are most likely to redo you engine mounts so build them to an engine you want

haulnazz15

Captain

Agreed on the above, but in general, the 888 will hold up to 300HP just like the alpha I's are rated. The 302 won't be putting out that much HP, and the 351w won't be either unless you are running a high-perf cam. The 351w of the period came with a drive with a 1.3X gear ratio though, instead of the 1.5 that the 888 has. I don't see any problems keeping the 302 if it runs right, and there's little issue with using a 351w either, but you'd have to source a few parts (not that hard).

shmimc1973

Cadet

Well you guys gave me alot of good info here. Pulling the motor today. I just wanted to get some info as to helps me when I make the new mounts. I have a couple shops here that build engines. And I really dont have have a problem with the 302 ( that is if block is ok, as there was no water in the oil and it was at the right level). But just that freeze plug, which I have had some of them pop off an engine before that was ok. Just wanted to see about getting like 225 hp out of that 302. Not a racing boat here, haha. Just wanted to make sure I had the power to get up to plane is all. But Later I will take it down to the shop in a few weeks, have them check it out, ifs its goo, I will rebuild it..
Thanks everyone, This iboats is pretty nice, like seeing peoplke offering there time helping others out.

haulnazz15

Captain

No problem getting 225HP out of the 302. A 4bbl carb and dual-plane intake puts you right there. You can get a better cam and grap another 8-10HP, too. That's not worth much in speed, but if you're digging into an old engine anyway, then why not?

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Do yourself a favor and get a late model roller cam 302 HO from a Mustang or Explorer (Explorer makes a few more hp with the GT40 heads) and put all your marine stuff on it with a dual plane and 4bbl, that will be 225hp easy, that's what they were rated with all the emissions stuff on them.

I had the same issue with my truck, somebody actually took the 300 I-6 out of my F150 and installed a 302 from a boat. It had a 4bbl marine intake with all the industrial/marine casting number.

Needless to say it was a clapped out flat tappet cam POS that couldn't pull a greasy string out of a monkey's ***.

I got a late model 302 HO roller motor, put the marine intake, marine timing cover, mechanical fuel pump, 4bbl carter afb carb (500cfm is a perfect match), got a late model distributor for the steel cam (you'll need the marine version), and put it back in my F150.

Damn thing feels like it has 100 more hp, it will spin the great big tires and it accelerates fast for a big truck, I was thoroughly impressed. I was originally planning to do a 351 swap but my budget was so little, I decided to do the high output roller 302 and it was completely worth it.

old clapped out engine:

new motor:

All the marine stuff on new motor, I only used the marine stuff because it is what I already had available.

Installed:

Last edited:

haulnazz15

Captain
You do realize you are responding to a post from Jan 2011, right? If the OP hasn't fixed his issue by now, it isn't likely going to be fixed. Also, you should probably read through the forum rules about posting, namely: do not post in threads over 90 days old.

Status
Not open for further replies.