shift lever removal on 1973 Mercruiser 165

marvinjansen

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am having trouble removing the cable from the shift lever at the helm. The cable is bad and I need to know the length to order one. We removed the allen screw and thought it would just come off, but it didn't. The rear is loose.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: shift lever removal on 1973 Mercruiser 165

Without being there to look at it, I would have to say corrosion is holding it on. That set screw is the only thing that should be holding it.

fishrdan

Admiral

You have to remove the neutral (black) knob in the center of the chrome shifter handle, turn the knob counter clockwise and it,,, should come out (if it's not corroded in place). With that knob removed, and the allan screw removed, the shifter handle wiggles off.

To get to the shift cables, you need to dismount the remote control box and then take it apart, basically take the halves apart, 4-6 screws. While you are in there, lube it up with some lithium grease, mine was pretty hideous when I took it apart, grease was all dried out. 40 years will do that.

I had the same shifter on my 73 140HP Mercruiser, still have it in a box of parts, somewhere... :rolleyes::D

marvinjansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got lever off, was corrosion and just had to us a little wiggling and persuasion. There are three 5/16th flat head screws and 2 came out easy. The third is stubborn so I've filed the large screw driver and put PB on it. Will try again to remove it tomorrow. Then to swap the cables. Any tips on pulling the old out and new in? May put a line on the old one so I can use it to pull the new on thru the tube all the cables and lines go thru.

fishrdan

Admiral

To get to the shift cables, you need to dismount the remote control box and then take it apart, basically take the halves apart

{EDIT} I stated something wrong when I said you have to take the shifter halves apart to get at the shift cables. The cables are accessable from the outside of the shifter by pulling the cotter pins out, then removing the cable covers. I ran across my old shifter and saw my blunder :facepalm: {edit done}

Taping the new cable to the old ones and pulling them through (as you said) would be easiest. I'd go stern > bow so you don't mess up the adjustable/threaded ends that connect to the shift plate.

You will have to adjust the shift cables once you have them replaced, can't just eye ball it.

marvinjansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

Had to drill the head off the third screw. Looking at manual it shows removing the cotter key and then the pin and hair pin clip to unhook the cable. I think I will put a 6/32 screw into the pin so I can handle it and remove that clip carefully with needle nose pliers. Any other advice on the removal and install?