• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

How many hours are too many?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many hours are too many?

Hi all,

I'd appreciate your advice. I'm seriously considering a 99 1850 Bayliner Capri, with a 4.3 Mercruiser. The boat is in excellent condition, but the engine has 424 hours on it. This seems rather high to me from my limited knowledge / research. It has a full 6 monthly service history, and just had a fairly major service, involving replacing cylinder head. I'm confident it has been well looked after, but the seller is not offering any concession on the price in light of what I think are high hours. Should I be wary of an engine with this much use? Thanks in advance. Chris

Re: How many hours are too many?

That would work out to 35 hours per year so that is not extreme usage.
    I would be more concerned as to how well it was taken care of and why the head was replaced.
    Was it from a major over heat problem?

Also,most hour meters click the time away when the key is on without the engine running.
    My opinion is the hour meter on a boat is about useless.
    Service records are more important.
    sigpic

1981 ChrisCraft 210 Scorpion K,175 Johnson SeaHorse

Comment

25 to 50 hours per year is average useage in my area. 424 hours in 12 years seems fine

1500 hours would mean rebuild time if the engine is well looked after.

not exactly a rare boat with rare features, so if the price doesn't beat others with lower hours, move on.. there's no shortage of low hour boats

of course, not many 18 footers have hour meters.
      Baba-buoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Sterndrive View Post
        25 to 50 hours per year is average useage in my area. 424 hours in 12 years seems fine

not exactly a rare boat with rare features, so if the price doesn't beat others with lower hours, move on.. there's no shortage of low hour boats

of course, not many 18 footers have hour meters.
        Thanks for the feedback so far. I did mean to say that the trade off is that for the same price, the hull, seating, and interior is in pretty much A1 condition, hence if the hours aren't a showstopper then was planning on getting it.

On a side note, does anybody have any experience in the difference towing a 185 and a 205? and the fuel consumption on a 4.3 vs a 5.7. Being that the 5.7 is 20% would fuel economy be 20% worse?

Comment

I had a boat that had the hr meter break at 1500 hrs back in the 80's.... It ran fine. I sold it in 2005.

Just make sure the engine runs ok under load. That means you'll have to "water-test" it at WOT (wide-open-throttle)

If it makes rated RPM(whatever that is) then 425 odd hrs is ok.
          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          I use xxx oil and have never had a problem........
          This post was created with OpenSuSE x64 Linux!

Comment

I would think the difference in towing would be minimal if your using a truck. Bigger is normaly better. A 5.7 would cruise at a lower rpm than a 4.3 with the speed being the same.So the fuel consumption would be close ,but the 4.3 a smidgen better.I doubt 20% unless you run WOT all the time.Also in theory the 5.7 would have less wear and tear if the hours are the same.If it was me I would go with the larger displacement engine for that reason along with..heavier payload,pulling skiers,tubers etc.Give me the 5.7 all day long over a smaller engine.
            Cool Runnings,,, Mr.88

Comment

Ayuh,... More like Twice that number,.... If maintained....
              Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

908hrs 1996 7.4merc/bravoIII--HITS 4600RPM NO PROBLEM knock on my head (mine head is wooden).
                it has required replacing dist cap, water & fuel pumps,alt. but nothing internal.
                sigpic 1981 Glastron SX-190 300hp 350 SBC
                Living the Dream

Comment

A friend who ran a shop and has since sold it and retired, suggested to me that an I/O should be good for at least 1000 hours.

So, at less than 500, you should be less than half life if it has had any care at all.

Randy

Comment

thanks that - I forgot to mention, am towing with a Range Rover - 4.6

Comment

I would say thats not many hours as others have noted. My only experience with buying a used boat was that I would be more concerned with the mechanicals, leaks, bellows, motor, outdrive, soft floor/rot than the interior (i.e. seat material/carpet), although a clean, A1 interior is at least a clue they may have maintained the boat. I have a 5.7 merc, and I know gas prices are going up, but honestly if you are planning moderate usage, then don't worry about it. They'll both use gas, and the difference will not be that much. Just my 0.02, good luck.
                      1985 Chris Craft Scorpion 210BR
                      Merc 260 A367223
                      Alpha I-MR A350934

Comment

We have run inboards for 7000 hrs and still not needed replacement. Forklifts with 15000 hrs and still strong. Keep serviced and tuned and dont beat them to death and they will last as long as the boat.

Comment

890 hours on my '90 5.7l 260hp. Still has factory compression.
                          90 Carver Montego 21.5 (23') "Lady Minna" (yes a name change in honor of our fallen Labrador. Poseidon understands.)

In the immortal words of Hunter S. Thompson:
                          "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
                          arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid
                          in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out,
                          and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"

Comment

Gosh knows how many hours are on my 1964 Glassmaster 17 footer with 153 CID 4 cylinder Mercruiser. My guess is at least 2000 hours. This Mercruiser is so old that it painted factory white, not black. It runs great, uses no oil, and is all original. We still use it a lot to water ski and just cruise at the lake house.

Comment

2200 hrs on my 92 305 merc when I swapped it for a 350 last year, still had good even compression and didnt use a drop of oil, still going strong in another boat
                              motorsport is the most efficient method known to man of turning money into noise

Comment

Working...
                              X