Mercruiser - test for bad impeller?

webnetxpress

Cadet
Is there a way to test for a bad impeller on the outdriver? 1985 170hp, alpha 1 I believe.<br /><br />It hasn't been run in over a year and I'm curious if I should spend the time and money to replace the impeller or if it's not warranted. With a hose hooked up and ilding it in my driveway, it doesn't go over 170degrees...

Walt T

Lieutenant
Re: Mercruiser - test for bad impeller?

reolace it and change the drive oil, grease the U joints and have the drive pressure tested.

llerrad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For the cost to replace, just do it, the cost of damage not worth it. The impeller will dry and blades will come off. Many say change ever one or two years.

BinLurkin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Diesel Walt. What's pressure testing the drive? Thanks, Been.

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer

Hello, Filling the drive with low pressure air (usually less than 10 psi) then you spray all the seals and suspected leak areas and see if you get bubbles. It's usually a good idea to vacuum test also (pulling a slight vacuum insted of pressurizing with air) Sometimes the vac test will reveal a leak where the pressure test will not. You can do this by taping a automotive radiator pressure testing tool into the fill plug for the outdrive lube. I use the fill tube fitting and fit it to the pressure tester. If the unit won't hold pressure or vacuum then you have a seal leak. I believe the time period for the pressure/vac test is about two minutes. If it can't hold for that long start looking at having the outdrive resealed. Hope this answered your question. ;)

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer

I forgot to list in the last post, you spray all of the suspected leak points with soap suds from a spray bottle! :D

webnetxpress

Cadet

took your advice and replaced the impeller last night, took me about 1.5hrs, not bad. Noticed that the last guy never put a gasket in one spot and never installed the water tube guide. So i guess it was a good idea to have done it right!<br /><br />thanks,

BinLurkin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Fireship. I never heard of this procedure before. I have replaced the top seal at the short shaft yoke where the u-joints are. Both that seal, a big o-ring & the u-joint yoke because the seal wears it out there where it rides. I presume there is a big seal at the bottom too, just like the one at the top that holds the oil in. How big a job is it to get to that one? Do I need any special wrenches or tools. I have the bearing retainer nut wrench that I used on the top side. It's also called a spanner wrench. Thanks in advance, anyone, BeenLurkin.