Sterndrive Engineering

arboatdr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has anyone ever used an Alpha 1 drive from strendrive engineering? They are supposed to be new drives that sell for $995.00 each with a one year warranty. Sounds too good to be true. Most of the time when something sounds too good to be true it is. DH

neilmw

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Sterndrive Engineering

$1195 is the price for a complete drive, posted a similiar question last year, doesnt seem to be many complaints. I Found sei very helpfull when enquiring about shipping etc.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

doesnt seem to be many complaints.
I wonder how many are actually out there and in service, and if they do have problems, do the people post here about them. That could be one reason you don't hear any complaints.....just a thought.<br /><br />The other problem would be maintenance, if the drive does need repairs, who would you take it too? A Mercruiser dealer doesn't have the tools, books, or parts to fix it.

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class

I thought they are exact replicas. So tools, tolerances, etc are the same.

qystan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've got a Gen 1 lower unit running since Sept last year. It mates with the Merc upper unit. The anodes fit. Water pump is exactly the same. Carrier looks the same as the curent units, the anode fits.<br /><br />Can't tell about the other insides, not gonna open it up to prove a point. <br /><br />So far so good. For how long? Only time will tell. In my case, its without possibility of going back to SEI, too far, so I'm on my own.

Capt Ken

Commander

They are identical to Mercruiser in every form and fashion. Used them in the past on customer's boats and haven't seen one come back yet.

newport dave

Chief Petty Officer

Last year I replaced both stern drives on a Formula 29PC with the GLM aftermarket alpha one replacment drives (also virtually identical to OEM alpha ones). They run smooth, shift nice and (so far) the boat owner is very happy with them.<br /><br />Dave

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was curious about them two years ago, so I took a trip to their factory in florida. The first thing I found is that they are part of a large company that makes pwc engines ( I forget the name)and occupy a very large industrial complex. From the number of employees and the many buildings full of equipment and stock I doubt they will be going out of business anytime soon. Now for the drives, They do not make any of the parts there. They are all sourced from oem suppliers, supposedly the same manufacturers that supply merc and some of the other aftermarket companies. What I did see was the typical assembly line production, meaning that there were several people, each in charge of putting one or two parts into the case, each with a dial guage or micrometer or torque wrench (with grease pen marks on the dial). It was obvious to me that no-one on the line had any idea why they were putting a part in and checking the tolerance, or what that tolerance meant, but they were very methodical about making sure that their guage was on the mark. Everything looked pretty good except they did the paint work there, and from what I saw and later confirmed in the field (which I reported back to them)their paint lasts less than one season in fresh water before it comes off. I'm not talking about a few flakes.....I'm talking about half of the drive being bare.<br />I picked up two drives while I was there. When I went to install the drives (on my boat) I found that one had a stripped out lower drain plug hole (this of course happened after the upper and lower were put together and both drives installed on the boat) I shipped that one back, two days later I had a replacement. I used the drives for the season and after a repaint(of the drives) sold the boat. The person I sold the boat to knew all about their drives....he had one on his "old boat", and had no problems with his. Those drives are still running fine with no problems. I have since used four more of their drives, so far with no problems. One of the drives came back into the shop (the boat needed other repairs) and I noticed it now had all of the official decals of a merc alpha on it, it seams that since these drives were sold without any decals (they have since changed this) the owner picked up some decals from that online auction place that has the word "bay" in it. Although all of the parts are supposed to be interchangeable and the specs the same.....beware, there may be several aftermarket drives out there that are now "wearing" the Merc Alpha badges. In fact, if you go to that auction site and do a search for Merc and decal, you will find several sellers of these every single week (if these are genuine decals, perhaps Merc should require a valid serial number before selling replacements). Before this turns into a book, I think the SEI drives are OK, and fill a void in the market place, I have had no real problems with them, the company seams responsive, and the price is right. The big thing is for everyone to know what they are getting, and to discourage people from "dressing them up" to look like the genuine factory units.

neilmw

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is an extremly useful post waterone, seems to give a fairly unbiased view of the product, purely your experience. You are dead right when you mention the problem of these drives being rebadged as merc's I am sure I would not be able to tell the difference if one was all badged up correctly on a boat I was buying.<br />Must admit they are tempting, especially considering the strength of the £ to $ at the moment, I could get one shipped over for an additional $350 + the Tax (on drive & Shipping) would still only set me back about £950 and this would still be cheaper than the £1000 I paid for a recon upper and having my lower rebuilt last year.

Bondo

Staff member

Doesn't iboats sell these ??<br /><br />I know there was a Big Sale on them here within the last year or so......<br /><br />But, I haven't been able to find them listed....<br />Anybody have a link to the listings here at iboats ???<br /><br />My Bud is in serious need of 1.....<br />I figure I'll convince Him to buy 1,+ Test it out, Before I buy 1............. :D

DHPMARINE

Captain

Not sure what brand Iboats has,but check them out.<br /><br />Also try sterndrive.cc ,using google<br /><br />DHP

Bondo

Staff member

:D :D :D :D ;) <br /><br />Look at the Dates,+ Times on the 1st 2 posts in this thread......................... :D <br /><br />I Just Noticed It...............<br /><br />Within MINUTES of being Exactly 1 YEAR apart................. :eek:

Ralph 123

Captain

Bondo, No link but here is what iBoats latest ad says (Iboats Mod this is your ad)<br /><br />SPECIAL PURCHASE New OEM Merc Sterndrives<br /> <br /> ALL ALPHA DRIVES - Gen I & Gen II - 1980 THRU CURRENT<br />· 24 MONTH LIMITED WARRANTY ·<br /><br />Gen I Complete Drive Assembly OEM MSRP $4,589.30 Our Price $1,999 - SAVE 56%<br />Gen I Upper Drive (Drive Shaft Housing Complete) OEM MSRP $2,289.85 Our Price $899 - SAVE 61%<br />Gen I Lower Drive (Gear Housing Complete) OEM MSRP $2,564.70 Our Price $1,199 - SAVE 53%<br /><br />Gen II Complete Drive Assembly OEM MSRP $5,217.45 Our Price $2,199 - SAVE 58%<br />Gen II Upper Drive (Drive Shaft Housing Complete) OEM MSRP $2,608.20 Our Price $949 - SAVE 64%<br />Gen II Lower Drive (Gear Housing Complete) OEM MSRP $3,071.96 Our Price $1,199 - SAVE 61%

Bondo

Staff member

Not Bad,...................... They've Only Doubled in the last Year..................