rebuild mech. fuel pump on mercruiser 470.. works?

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer
Re: rebuild mech. fuel pump on mercruiser 470.. works?

Well I have the Merc manual #3. It says that is the one for my model and serial number. I did look through there just now and it does indeed show the wiring for my current starter in the wiring diagram, but I looked at the 470R diagram and it shows the wiring for the starter with the solenoid on it. This seems to be about how you guys are describing it. Here is the diagram:

starterwiring.jpg

Is this how it should be done?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

That is how it should be done!:D

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer

Ok cool.. well, I thought I had ordered that darn starter, but the guy emailed me earlier and said they were out of stock. Didn't say when they will get them in so I emailed back asking about it. Maybe I'll hear Monday. Oh well...

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

dccordell.
Before I went to too much more trouble I think I would switch to an electric fuel pump. Around $40.00 at NAPA.

Bifflefan

Commander

Im not sure if the OP is still looking for a fuel pump or not, everything went kind of blurry trying to read all the posts.
if so Check this link. They have them for about 125.00 new.

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the link biffleman...

I was trying to rebuild the old mechanical pump so that I could get away from using the PO's automotive electric fuel pump. New mech. pump is around $130 new, but rebuild kit for the old pump was just around $40 I think. So I rebuilt it. Worked out good I think. I'll know for sure when I get the starter replaced and get the thing running.

Thanks for all the help everybody.. sorta got off topic talking about the starter issues.

:D

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Why don't you start a new thread when changing subjects. Would make it one hell of a lot easier on people trying to follow what is going on without reading almost 50 posts to find out what subject you are working on.

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer

I agree. I hadn't planned on getting off topic like that. The starter issue just came up in the conversation. Will try to keep it to the point in the future :)

Thanks for all the help...

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Sorry that was kind of my fault:redface:. At least it is the same boat.

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer

Just wanted to let you guys know that the fuel pump rebuild was a success. I finally got the starter in today and after priming the lines and the bowl with an electric pump (then removing the electric pump),the darn thing fired up almost instantly. **Happiness!!** Haha.. So if anybody wants to rebuild their fuel pump for a fraction of buying a new one, go for it! It works...

One hint: Don't forget to inspect/clean the check valves inside! If both of them aren't working as they should, the pump won't work.

So did the Fuel Pump rebuild work? Think I need to do the same. Boat sat for a few years and is not getting fuel. Changed the fuel/water filter with no luck.
As for the starter...I got SO lucky. One year got up Sunday morning and mine went out. Found a small local guy and gave him a call. He lived right by me so we went to his shop and he just happened to have the parts. Rebuilt it on the spot for $125

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer

Yep, it worked! Not a terribly hard thing to rebuild, and saved a ton of cash.

Before you rebuild, put some gas in a container and run a hose from it to your fuel pump. This will help identify any problems in your fuel pickup lines/tubes, if your pump actually still works.

I'm wondering if its just locked up from sitting so long.

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer

I'm not sure if any part of the fuel pump can "lock up," but it's definitely possible that one or both of the internal check valves are stuck, which would cause the pump to not work.

I would try the gas can trick first, see if the pump works then. Keep in mind that it could take a good bit of cranking to get fuel all the way to the carb. I'm not sure if it's bad practice, unsafe, or both, but to get my fuel lines primed, and to save some strain on the starter, I like to poor just a little gas in the carb and crank the engine. This lets the engine do the priming instead of the starter.

IF that doesn't work.. I would start tearing into the fuel pump.

Getting ready to try the gas can now. I fill the bowl of the carb up through the vent first anyway. Starts every time. Been doing that thinking the system would eventually prime up but the fuel line to the carb is still bone dry.

Last edited:

Took the fuel pump off and poured gas in it and let it soak over night. Put it back on and Bingo Dingo....runs like a champ:D