5.7 mercruiser thermostat housing

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1995 raw water cooler 350 mercruiser, took off thermostat housing p/n 16413-c1 stamped has no check balls. The thermostat sits on a lip within the housing has cork gasket then thermostat the plastic sleeve. Ok so after I pulled the housing off I notice the cork gasket was slipped out of the lip, upon further investigation I noticed that the LIP has an open where the water the water enters from the large hose, this is looking at the housing upside down, question is this normal? Why did the cork gasket slip out? The thermostat I changed last year!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 5.7 mercruiser thermostat housing

Why did the cork gasket slip out?

Donno,... Never seen a cork gasket on a Mercruiser...

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer

The gasket is like an O ring but flat, Is there supposed to be an opening on the lip?

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Which Gasket???

ThermostatBreakdownPic.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

The gasket is like an O ring but flat, Is there supposed to be an opening on the lip?

Ayuh,... In the O-ring, or the Housing,..??

Yer so talkative, I Assume We're talkin' about the top picture Alpheus posted,..??

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer

The housing has an open space around the lip, in other words the "lip" where the theromstat sits in in not completely round. Thanks for the response!

Fun Times

Staff member

The housing has an open space around the lip, in other words the "lip" where the theromstat sits in in not completely round. Thanks for the response!
Maybe a few photos of both the inside/outside of your thermostat housing would help everyone out.:)

What is the engine serial number?

Is it carbed or EFI?

adeneo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have no idea what JOHNSON110 is talking about, but I'm guessing wildly it looks something like this, and yes it's suppose to look like that :eek:

BPI13231.jpg

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Nope.

Its the one in the pic I posted...

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer

This was going to be tough to explain I knew that, The engine is a carb 4 bbl the housing looks like the one with the check balls, but this one does not have the check balls! the lip I am talking about is where the thermostat sits in, It looks like part of the lip is worn away? or should it be this way? like I said before the flat round gasket that goes into the housing before the thermost goes was hanging out whaen I pulled the assembly off! Again the thermostat sits on a lip in the housing if the lip was not there it would fall into the manifold, well part of this lip is either worn away form the salt water or it is designed that way, this what I am trying to figured out, diagrams do not show the idisde of the housing in detail .

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer

Ok I found out that the housing is designed that way, however you should use adhesive on the cork gasket so it does not slip out!