How to Check Oil Level?

sasto

Captain
1974 318 Chrysler.....70 hrs on this motor in the last few months and she hasn't used a drop of oil....but....I changed the oil after the boat sat for over 2 years prior to this.....she took about a half of a quart more than recommended. When I read the dipstick...one side of the stick shows a quart low.....the other side reads a quart high. What gives? Design flaw? I realize there isn't much normal about me, but the boat too!!!

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: How to Check Oil Level?

After extended storage, ALL the oil that 'clings' to the internals will settle into the pan and you drained at out.

Normal oil change with filter is 5 qt, an additional 1/2 isn't a problem.

Dip stick tubes will often have a 'splash' on the inside of the tube, it is advisable to check BOTH sides of the stick as you have done and see the lower level on one side, trust the lower reading as the correct level and add (if necessary) to bring it to the full mark again after running, filling the filter and checking for leaks.

Aloysius

Chief Petty Officer

dipsticks in boats are an approximation, because of the angle the engine sits in the hull. You never want to be over the full mark, but if the dipstick is at the front, and the engine tilts back, you may want to be UNDER the mark. What you don't want is the crankshaft hitting the oil. Better to be a quart "low" than a quart high.

Your Penn Yan with the tunnel, engine probably sits fairly level. If the oil level changes because you put the dipstick in reversed, the dipstick is bent.

Bondo

Staff member

When I read the dipstick...one side of the stick shows a quart low.....the other side reads a quart high. What gives?

Ayuh,... It's surface tension drag on the oil,... The Low side is the true oil level...

sasto

Captain

Ayuh,... It's surface tension drag on the oil,... The Low side is the true oil level...

Thanks Bond-o...Aye... (Florida lingo)... I will take your word....:)