'91 Ebbtide 190 Bowrider info/opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

gospeed81

Recruit
Howdy!

New here, regular (and mod) on a few Miata and motorcycle forums.....looking to get into boating.

Famous last words I'm sure. I'm a glutton for punishment, and relish in projects. Whether restoring old bikes, turbocharging my car, or building something out of wood I stay busy.

I had someone offer to trade my Volvo wagon for a non-running 1991 Ebbtide 18footer that supposedly has a GMC 350 (5.7L) in it. I've yet to see the boat in person...but it's exactly what I'm looking for in terms size, purpose, age and cost. I don't fish much, and although I love to ski probably won't be pulling myself or others out of the water often. Just plan to take the family out on the lake (Conroe, TX).

Supposedly the boat was stored with gas in it and needs the carb cleaned, and has some type of spark issue. I'm going to make sure it turns over, and bring my compression tester as well. I can handle getting the engine running as long as it's all there...

The interior is also rough, but my MIL just happens to do upholstery. I've wanted to try my hand as well.

Are these good boats to restore?

Will I get years of use out of it after going over it and bringing it back to it's old glory?

Thanks in advance,

Damon

EDIT: I'm coming off a SOT kayak that I've been paddling my daughter around on as my only personal watercraft...but have been around boats a good portion of my life.

Also, looks like he may have meant OMC motor...?

He specifically said GMC 350 with Yamaha drive.

Attachments

• ebbtide1.jpg
    ebbtide1.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 0
  • ebbtide2.jpg
    ebbtide2.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 0

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: '91 Ebbtide 190 Bowrider info/opinions

first find out what engine/drive package it has, being a '91 it most likely has something which has parts readily available

get ready to shell out more than you like for parts, boats parts are not cheap

if you see the boat and fall in love with it and have to have it, absolutely have a mechanical inspection done by a reputable shop!!! its like having a home inspected before you buy - well worth the price if you are seroius

get years of good use?? depends on the condition and how well you restore it - i routinely work on many boats from the 1960's and 70's - well maintained of course

Bondo

Staff member

I've yet to see the boat in person...

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... If it's a Mercruiser or Volvo driveline,...

Go for it...

If it's an OMC,.... Keep your car...

gospeed81

Recruit

if you see the boat and fall in love with it and have to have it

I'm really afraid to go look at it because I'm a sucker for neat old things that don't work anymore...

get years of good use?? depends on the condition and how well you restore it - i routinely work on many boats from the 1960's and 70's - well maintained of course

The flipside is a I really enjoy restoring old things. To give an idea my current project bikes are a '79 Honda CBX resto, and a CB750 I'm turning into a cafe. That's right...10 carbs on my workbench at the moment.

Bond-o...thanks for the advice.

Bondo

Staff member

He specifically said GMC 350 with Yamaha drive.

Ayuh,... You edited while I was posting,...

You D O N ' T want that boat....

Yamaha parts do Not exist in North America,... Period.....
Yamahas are Soo rare,... That's why I didn't include 'em in my 1st post...

Keep your car....

dubs283

Vice Admiral

yep...

yamaha sterdrive = don't buy

find something with a mercruiser or volvo, you will be happy you did - there are MANY project boats with these packages available

gospeed81

Recruit

Then BIG thanks for the valuable advice.

I would have wrongly assumed that the Yamaha parts were a bonus.

Will keep entertaining entertaining trade offers then.

gospeed81

Recruit

I bumped into this old post of mine while doing a google search...and wanted to reiterate how much I appreciate the help in avoiding what would have certainly been a disastrous project.

I'm still considering a boat...but winter certainly helped keep me from doing anything rash. I've pretty well decided to wait until I have a little more time and money (probably after I graduate) to get into big boat ownership.

Ya'll take care and enjoy the water.

So I just got a free 1990 ebbtide 170 with a yamaha inboard and drive are they really that difficult to deal with I was going to swap out my volvo penta with the yamaha

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
tray basnight - Please read the Help Tip on top of the page and start a new thread of your own. This one is 7 years old and inactive. When you start the new thread, choose the right section. This is for Mercruisers, not Volvo-Penta or Yamaha. Thanks.

A free boat with a Yamaha inboard is asking for trouble. Free is bad enough, how many Yamaha Inboards do you see? There is a good reason!

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.