Oil filter Mercruiser 4.3

jb71

Cadet
I am a relatively new boat owner and will be attempting my first "nautical" oil change this summer. The oil filter that is currently on my '89 Sea Ray, Mercruiser 4.3L has no markings on it and I could not find any references in any of my manuals for it. I don't want to pay the inflated price from the boat dealer. I was just planning on getting one from the auto parts store, but don't know what size. Anyone know this info or where I can get it?<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Jeff :confused:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Oil filter Mercruiser 4.3

If you Looked about 1/2 way down the 1st page of the engine forums you'll see,<br /> "Ver 2 of Mercruiser Oil Filter Study w/ pore & flow", <br />In this thread you'll find this link,<br /> http://home.earthlink.net/~memphis3/mercfilters/merc.htm <br />It's got the Info you're looking for,+ Then Some......

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

Read the study, it's interesting. I use a K&N filter (2001 in think) and mobil 1 synthetic on my boat.<br />Kevin

DHPMARINE

Captain

lot's of news about oil filters lately.Mercruiser<br />is under $10.00.What are we saving here?Let's try one that only cost $3.00?<br /> What I am saying is Mercuiser supplies a decent product.They will not try to kill their own product.So now we try to sve a few bucks on an oil filter...<br /><br />Go Figuire.<br />On the other hand if you change your oil and filter frequently...3 4 5 times a season,it probably won't mater,except a new motor will never break in.<br />DHPMARINE

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

I thought that was what the "beak in" time was for the first 20 hrs. I think the manual says to change all fluid after that time frame. Do you mean the motor is still seating the rings and breaking in the cam even after 20 hours? I followed the mercruisers advise to the letter during break in and my manual says nothing about changing the oil and filter too often being bad for the motor.If our motors don't break in correctly wouldn't we see alot of oil consumption or smoke?? I believe that manufacturer recomended service intervals are to long. If the motor in my car needs to have the oil changed every 3000 miles and it does not work nearly as hard as my boat engine would it not be prudent to change the boat oil at least as often as you would your car?? All the boat gurus on this site say the motor in your boat is under load all the time you are moving, there is no coasting or going down hill in a boat. I think that the dealers charge $10.00 for an oil filter to help pay for stuff like boats sitting in their showrooms and building rent and insurance. I would gladly pay $10 for a filter if the dealer was doing the oil change. These oil filters are made by the same people who make them for are cars and then marketed by mercruiser. I think a 4.00 delco or fram is just as good if you change every 4 months or so.

outboardguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bluewater one of the main reasons that you don't change oil in your boat as often as your car is temperature.The average car stays at about 210 degrees, which cooks the oil,whereas the average boat runs around 170.Obviously you are not going to have as much thermal breakdown of your oil at 170.

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by DHPMARINE:<br />lot's of news about oil filters lately.Mercruiser<br />is under $10.00.What are we saving here?Let's try one that only cost $3.00?<br /> What I am saying is Mercuiser supplies a decent product.They will not try to kill their own product.So now we try to sve a few bucks on an oil filter...
My original quest for the Merc filter study was not based on cost, rather quality -- "is there a better filter available?" After looking at construction, pore, and flow the K&N gives you +20% better filtration, same flow, and more oil capacity than the standard Merc -- all for $3 more. I think that is worthwhile.<br /><br />I don't think you should use an automotive filter just to save $5. The study shows that you could be sacrificing flow if you use one of the Fram's, for example.<br /><br />Yes, I believe that Merc will NOT go out of their way to NOT kill their own product. Consider the synthetic oil argument. They don't endorse one, rather they discourage the use, yet the industry (even Volvo with the same dang engine) recognizes the benefits. Is it because they don't offer a synthetic? You can decide that one. ;)

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by jb71:<br />I am a relatively new boat owner and will be attempting my first "nautical" oil change this summer. The oil filter that is currently on my '89 Sea Ray, Mercruiser 4.3L has no markings on it and I could not find any references in any of my manuals for it. I don't want to pay the inflated price from the boat dealer. I was just planning on getting one from the auto parts store, but don't know what size. Anyone know this info or where I can get it?<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Jeff :confused:
I am assuming that you don't have the remote oil filter for your boat, so you are probably talking the following filters (please double check before you buy):<br /><br />Mercruiser 35-883702K <br />WIX 51036 <br />Hastings LF393 <br />Baldwin B35-S <br />K&N 2001<br /><br />None of them are that much cheaper than the Merc (maybe $2 or $3). The K&N will be more. You may want to use the non Mercs if you don't have a marine dealer close by.<br /><br />From the study (that bondo refers to above), I would stay away from Fram EG and TG for boats. While the filtration is very good, the flow is not what Merc is specifying.<br /><br />I would also use one of the ones above over other store/house brands. Not because they are not good, but rather you can't be sure of the decent to high flow that is spec'd by Merc.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Welcome to boating!!!!!! For one of the only bargains you will find in the boating world,RUN dont walk to your nearest Kmart or Walmart and buy a few AC delco ph-25 oil filters for about 3bucks each.They are very good quality.Look at the book when you get there to check the letters on the stock # it may be pf-25.Look for the Chevy section and look at the v6 motors if there is no listing for marine application.Charlie

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I agree with Charlie, I have used the AC Delco in my OMC 4.3 with no problems. The marine filters sometimes are finished with a more corrosion finish which might be and advantage if you are in salt water. <br />Now if you really want to worry about something, worry about water intrusion in inboards, that kills way more engines than anything else!! (Hydrolocking and corroding heads, cylinders, etc.<br />Meaning that if you run in salt you want to keep a close eye on manifolds and risers. In fresh water they can last a really long time.<br />If you have never run it in salt but may in the future, consider closed cooling. Even in fresh water an engine will last longer with closed cooling (less internal corrosion of cast iron) and the cooling will be generally better since you will not get river silt etc in the block and heads.

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

An AC Delco for your boat should be a PF52. AC also makes the Ultraguard -- UPF52.<br /><br />Very nice filters especially for the money -- about $3.50.<br /><br />If you are looking up automotive, look for a '97 Blazer with 4.3L V6 -- that will be the filter for your V6 w/o the remote mount.

Hasbeen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im with Crazy Charlie on this one, There is absolutly NO reason that you cannot use a car filter on your marine application! Your engine will never know the difference, but PLEASE do not use a Fram! Also the Mobil1 and the Pure one, allthough great filters, I personally believe them to be too restrictive for marine use! This is just a personal feeling though!<br /><br />Obviously you are not going to have as much thermal breakdown of your oil at 170.<br /><br />Thermal, Maybe not, but as far as beating up an oil, a marine application does a great job of beating up an oil at the RPMs they run all day, regardless of the tempurature!!<br /><br />Hasbeen<br /><br />LubeDude

jb71

Cadet

Once again you guys have supplied me with a wealth of information!!! Thanks!!!<br /><br />Jeff