hey bondo, another FWC question (updated, got an exchanger)

FreeBeeTony

Captain
A friend of mine told me that the highest point of the heat exchanger must installed above the level of the thermostat. He said something about "vapor lock"? I was thinking of putting together a system of my own with parts from ebay and such. But now I am concerned that I may not know all the "trade secrets". Remember I have an inline 6 Mercruiser 165. I am thinking of installing a heat exchanger from a V8 (as you suggested) to provide better cooling and let the thermostat regulate the temperature. Would the heat exchanger go in the path of the hose that goes from the circulating pump to the thermostat housing? Is it that simple? Or do I have to change the thermostat housing? I am looking at a heat exchanger from a 454, it looks like it has a tank and a "radiator cap" on it. Right now I am thinking of only cooling the block and leaving raw water in the manifold. Any inside information would be appreciated. Thanks....Tony

Bondo

Staff member
Re: hey bondo, another FWC question (updated, got an exchanger)

Morning Tony,<br />Well, Where to Start.......<br />Your friend is Somewhat right... It's the Fill-Cap that has to be the Highest point in the system... Other-wise, you Can't Fill it... You Know, Water seeks it's own level.... The system I'm using has the filltank seperate from the exchanger, so the exchanger Can be mounted Lower.....<br />I'm Hopeing that Trent or 1 of the guys has a link to some closed-cooling Maps... Just to show you the routing...<br />Basicly the water runs from the T-stat bypass to the exchanger, to the waterpump, thru the block, back to the exchanger....<br /><br />I'd do the Full system... Why would you want to Rot out the manifold, Risers are bad Enough....<br /><br />I think you're headed the Right Way.... <br />And, I Know we can work through the "trade secrets"

FreeBeeTony

Captain

The part that confuses me is the "thermostat bypass". Would the heat exchanger replace the 2 connections of the existing raw water (input from the outdrive and output to the manifold)?<br /><br />How do you post a pic that does not have a url?

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

The Mercruiser manuals I have for my 454 show the coolant path for FWC, try a good Mercruiser manual for a 165.

Bondo

Staff member

Would the heat exchanger replace the 2 connections of the existing raw water (input from the outdrive and output to the manifold)?
Basicly...... Yes....<br />Except, You'll be Isolating the Manifold From the Riser.....<br /><br />If we can get Trent's attention, I'm Betting he's got a link to the Info....

FreeBeeTony

Captain

So, if I was to get a heat exchanger w/ a tank and was able to install it high enough; I would not have to change the thermostat housing? Almost seems too easy! I would just have to find someone to make me a couple of custom brackets for mounting. Next problem: where do I find hoses? Seems they also would have to be kinda custom. Wouldn't be able to use preformed hoses. Any suggestions here?

Bondo

Staff member

Tony,<br />I'm working Blind here....<br />You May, or May Not have to switch the T-stat housing....<br />You May, or May Not have Maybe block-off a port ??? I'm Not Sure.....<br />You've got a camera... I remember the photos you posted of your Grady.....<br /><br />Hoses you can Find/Build with the Help from your local Auto Parts/Industrial Supply Stores.....<br />Molded hoses are pretty much out.....<br />Bending hoses Can be done.... Tight Radiuses can be built using a Spring Inside to keep them from Collapsing.......

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Quote:<br /><br />You May, or May Not have Maybe block-off a port ??? I'm Not Sure.....<br /><br />What does this mean?<br /><br />I am having trouble posting an image......could use some help..... :)

Bondo

Staff member

You May, or May Not have Maybe block-off a port ??? I'm Not Sure.....<br /><br />What does this mean?
You're buying Bits + Pieces like I am......<br />Cobbing a system together, so to speak.....<br />You Proabably Won't be Using All the Avaialble Ports on the various components.......<br />I'll have some time later... I'll go thruogh my links,+ see if I've got any Closed Cooling System Maps/ Diagrams..... Unless Someone Beats me to it.....Hopefully..<br />
I am having trouble posting an image......could use some help.....
Go down to Dockside Chat..... Just down the page is a thread by ndemge, called Picture Hosting update ...... I'm Sure the guys there can help you....... :D

FreeBeeTony

Captain

bondo, check out my website and go to the after link........if I was to start with the block only (for easier understanding purposes at this moment), would I "cap off" the raw water input and output (which I believe is the thermostat bypass going to the manifold)and install the heat exchanger in line with the large hose giong between the circulating pump and the thermastat housing? The the raw water would flow from the outdrive through the heat exchanger out through the manifold (for now). These are 2 set-ups I am looking at right now : seperate tank and BB chevy . One more question: is it possible to have a heat exchanger too big for the amount of water supplied by the out drive? Will the outdrive be able to supply the required amount for thr BB heat exchanger?

Bondo

Staff member

Well Tony, <br />First let me say, <br />She's a Mighty Fine Looking Lady........<br />While I was at your photos the website went down, <br />So, I didn't see All the pic.s....<br />For Now,<br />
it possible to have a heat exchanger too big for the amount of water supplied by the out drive?
No, The Impeller Pump moves Alot of water.... <br />Atleast Not within Reason....<br />This Isn't a Nuclear Sub...... <br />I think the 1, or 1 like the 454 exchanger will work Perfect for Your appl.... You Want to Cool the Manifolds as well as the engine.... If you find a 5" exchanger, It'll No Doubt be Big Enough... I think a 6" or 7" would be Excessive.... a 3" would be Borderline too small.... a 4" Might do....<br />That 3 1/2" Looks small.......<br />
Will the outdrive be able to supply the required amount for thr BB heat exchanger?
Yes..... see above.... <br /><br />Don't do a "(for now)" build-up..... <br />It's Much Easier to do it Only Once......<br />I'll be back in awhile to see if your site is back up.....

FreeBeeTony

Captain

thanks bondo.......I appreciate your assistance. I am confident I will be able to do this.......with your help!<br /><br />Thanks again..........Tony

FreeBeeTony

Captain

bondo......get a chance to look at the pics yet? I'm just curious if I am correct as to where the exchanger is put inline....between the thermostat housing and the circ pump?

Bondo

Staff member

Ok Tony,<br />I'm In.....<br />I'm looking at the After Shot........<br />What I think I see is,<br />(Raw Water Lay-Out 1st)<br />The hose laying along the valve cover, along top of the manifold... That's the In-Coming from the outdrive line.... Correct ??? <br />Disconnect the hose From the T-stat... This is the Hose that'll go to the In-coming Raw water on the H/E(Heat Exchanger, from now on).... <br />For the Out-Going raw water, You'll take 1 of the Pipe Plugs out of the Riser, Screw in a Barb,+ Attach to Exit Line There.....<br />Fresh Water side is, The Nipple you're taking the Existing in-coming line Off Of, IS the Cool water return to the motor, From the H/E....<br />The Other Hoses Stay the Same.......<br />Now, go to the Back(stern) of the Manifold, Take Out a Pipe Plug, install a Barb,+ This is your Hot Water to the H/E.....<br />This Assumes you've seperated the manifold,+ riser,+ added a Block-Off Gasket.....<br /><br />I Think...... :D

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Thanks bondo, that's kinda what I thought. Now all I have to do is get my hands on a H/E. I missed out on the 454 one on ebay, but there is another I am going to bid on. Thanks again.........I will keep you posted on my progress. Hopefully some of the snow will melt so I can get under the covers and start to play!

FreeBeeTony

Captain

OK..........I got a heat exchanger from my friend. I think (so he says) it's a standard model from a V8. It has a bracket welded on one side with 2 holes in it. He said it usually mounts on the rear of the engine on the bell housing. Anyway...I was looking at my Clymer Mercruiser Stern Drive Shop Manual...and guess what? it has a diagram of the water/coolant flow!<br />Looks like the return side of the heat exchanger is connected to the coolant output of the exhaust manifold. The output side of the heat exchanger is connected to the circulating pump.The thermostat housing (is different) is only connected to the input side of the manifold. So I found an automotive thermostat housing on ebay and I am going to change it. Any problems with doing this? What about the thermostat bypass? It doesn't look like there is one. Is this a problem? Thanks again for all your help....Looks like this is going to be a he** of a lot cheaper than a kit!

Bondo

Staff member

Hi Tony,<br />Is your Manual the 1964 to 1985 edition, # B740 ????<br />That's the 1 I have here....<br />On page 349 is the raw water cooled system diag.....<br />On page 356 is the closed cooling system diag......<br /><br />Due to the fact you boat in Saltwater,+ are trying to save your manifold,<br />I propose you build a Hy-bred system.....<br /><br />I've been out in the shop looking over a 3.0l, 140hp I've got out there....... The Manifold is cast in the same configuration as yours(the afterlink).....<br /><br />You'll use the Same T-stat housing you have now.....<br />You'll need to find another one of the little square end-caps, with the hose nipple cast on it.... mount it at the rear of the manifold......<br />Next, Pull the Riser... Remove one of the square-socketed pipe plugs.... install a hose nipple in it's place..... Use a full blocking gasket when reinstalling the riser..... <br />Now, The Manifold will be part of the Freshwater-side........<br />Water Flow is explained in my last post, <br />It'll look Somewhat like the picture on page 357 in the manual....(I know that's a 470, but you need the Best parts of that system)<br /><br />Is the Rad-cap on the H/E, or separate ???

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Why can't I just connect the output of the "new" thermo housing (#2 on pg 356) to the manifold.......install the blocking gasket between the manifold and riser....come out of a nipple on the manifold (as you suggest) and go back to the exchanger? Why do I need the extra part to put on the end of the manifold if I install the nipple? The raw water would flow from the stern drive through the exchanger to the riser and out the exhaust. The exchanger I have has a tank and radiator cap. Check out this set-up (except I am putting the manifold in the coolant path), and the thermo housing I am bidding on.

Bondo

Staff member

At this point your Manifold assembley(including the riser) Only has One(1) Inlet.......<br />The Only Outlet is dumping out the Riser.......<br />If you don't add the square nippled block off plate to the rear of the Manifold, You Can't run Freshwater through it.......<br />There's No Plugs in the Manifold, to exchange for a nipple....... changing the rear plate will give you 1......<br />You Need to Add a Nipple in the top of the Riser to Dump the Seawater......(there are plugs on both sides of the Riser)<br />You Don't need the T-stat Housing you're bidding on..... You Need the one you Have......<br /><br />Or, Go with the drawings on page 356,+ on the link(set-up) above......<br />Of Course, That does Nothing for your Manifold...... :)

FreeBeeTony

Captain

My manifold does have plugs to change out for a nipple...........