Expected life of hydraulic hoses ?

jfc092

Seaman
Because of transom rot I discovered, I just pulled my 470 merc and the complete outdrive off my 1978 19 footer. Since I now have the drive and gimball housing off and in the basement, I plan on replacing the bellows, shiftcable, transom seal, water pump and gaskets.<br /><br />The hydraulic hoses are original and all the outer rubber covering has peeled off the hoses.<br />The hoses still work and do not leak and seem to feel OK. A complete set of new hoses runs about $200.00 which I'd rather not spend right now. <br />Can anybody tell me the expected life span of the outdrive hoses.

Walt T

Lieutenant
Re: Expected life of hydraulic hoses ?

Replace them, it's silly not to.

Bondo

Staff member

Also, Check out Aftermarket hoses.....<br />$200. is Way Out of Line......<br /><br />The outboard SSteel hoses are about $25.(or less) apiece,aftermarket.....<br />The Black,+ Brown hoses inside the boat can be found for less than $50.@....<br /><br />And, Yes, Walt is right Again.....<br />Replace them Now, it's Alot easier, than Later.....

Buttanic

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You could just replace the ones inside the boat as those are the hardest to do with the engine in place and wait for the outside ones to fail or replace them at a later time. Unlikely you would be left at sea by a hose failure because the drive would be down. Most likely failure time is when trimming up while under way.<br /><br />Buttanic

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Heres a question for you --<br /><br />How much would you pay for a new set just before you hit someone or something because one of the old ones broke and you lost control?

Buttanic

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't think he would lose control from a burst trim / tilt hose. Maybe you are thinking of a power steering hydraulic hose.<br /><br />Buttanic