R all couplers like this ?

labzman3

Seaman
Ordered a engine coupler #76850A-2 for my 1985 4 cycl. 120 hp. merc. motor. Serial # A492171. Old one was round, Started to assemble today, and coupler would not sit down against flywheel. My friend measured the protrusion on the back of the coupler and the hole in the flywheel where it goes and the coupler was .035" oversized ! Is this normal ? Or do I have the wrong coupler ? Need some answers !! Winter is on the way here, and my friend wants his engine hoist back !

Thanks !

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: R all couplers like this ?

The new should look and fit like the old.There are a few different styles.J

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You need to install the same kind of coupler that came off.
Here is a picture of the two options.

attachment.php

Attachments

• couplers.jpg
    couplers.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 0

labzman3

Seaman

I did purchase the same type, my question is, especially to you Don, since you do this for a living ! The protrusion on the back of my coupler is .035" bigger than the opening in the flywheel ! IS THIS NORMAL ? There is no way it is going on without turning it down first on a lathe, and I am not doing that till someone from where I bought it gives me the official O K !

labzman3

Seaman

Thanks Bondo !! I am thinking same thing !! I spoke to several people this evening,, said it should go on fairly easy !!

Wonder if someone has put wrong coupler on, with a little x tra machine work being done ? A Mercury rep told me this morning, that my motor could have come with either a round style or tiangular. My flywheel has tapped holes on outside diameter ?
Anyone have specs on the triangular coupler ?
It would probably be easier to install if it was, and the triangular one would have a grease fitting installed !

This is AGGRAVATING !!!

Thanks !!