• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

5.7 Mercruiser drain locations

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.7 Mercruiser drain locations

So I found five drain plugs for my 2001 5.7 but the Seloc manual mentions there may be another one in the "water tube" in the carbureted models. I looked all around don't see anything that looks similar. Am I missing something? Also, when I filled the engine with antifreeze, I poured the AF into the the large hose going to the water pump. After about two gallons, the AF started coming up through the thermostat housing. Would that indicated the thermostat is stuck open or missing? Or, is there a bypass to allow some AF to flow through even when the thermostat is closed?
    Attached Files
    2001 Maxum 2300SC/5.7 MCM (250HP) Mercruiser Alpha One Gen 2

Re: 5.7 Mercruiser drain locations

I have never seen that drain plug before. But if you looked and dont have it then dont worry about it. You did not mention that you drained the water from the power steering cooler. You will want to do that if not done already.

As for the thermostat. There is a bypass that will allow A/F to get there...

sigpic

1969 StarCraft Chieftain, 4.3 Mercruiser Alpha One Gen II

Link To Restoration Page

----------------------------------------------------

Its What I Don't Say You Should Be Worried About...

Comment

Thanks. Great diagrams. I didn't see the PS cooler or drain but I'll look again today. Is the PS cooler just a fluid/fluid cooler? The Seloc show a slightly different diagram, which I believe I have.
      Attached Files

Comment

There is no drain on the PS cooler. You have to loosen the hose clamps and remove the hose to let it drain...

SELOC manuals are a very generic manual. You can see it in the pics that we just put up. Look at mine and then look at the Seloc. Mercruiser is very detailed.

You can use the Seloc manual as a reference or to use as a knee pad, but get yourself the OEM service manual if you want the job done right.

Here is a link to download the REAL manual...

http://www.4shared.com/document/XC08...anual_31_2.htm
        sigpic

Link To Restoration Page

Comment

I did the online subscription thing for Seloc. Yes, I have noticed some of information is a little generic. To clarify, I pulled the five drain plugs(plus stiff wired them) and disconnected the four hoses at the thermostat housing a let sit for two days. I then put new drain plugs in with Permatex Aviation sealant and poured antifreeze into the four hoses until no more would go in. I got about three gallons total in.

Comment

Well the link above is for the OEM manual and wont cost you a penny.

I have never sealed my plugs, It just makes it harder to take off the next time.

All sounds good except for the PS cooler...
            sigpic

Link To Restoration Page

Comment

From the looks of it, the PS cooler is in the hose between the outdrive pickup and thermostat housing, correct? After I filled the hoses with AF, I noticed the AF coming of the the water inlets in the outdrive. Can I assume I displaced any water sitting in the PS cooler or dilluted it enough to be safe? From the looks of my diagram, the PS cooler is behind the back of the engine and doesn't look very fun to get to.

Comment

Working...
              X