Shift cable bellows clamp

affa

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi<br />Im replacing my shift cable and bellows, and was wondering if the shift cable bellow should be pushed in a forward position when I clamped it, because of the cable going backwards when I tilt / trailer the drive up?<br />Regards<br />Affa

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Shift cable bellows clamp

Hello affa<br /> did you ever get the valvetraain done?<br /> yes I usually push the bellows and adjust it so it does not smash together when the drive is down nor does it stretch like a rubber band when the drive is tilted. I also use a OMC, Bombardier or merc wire tie that has the radius under the head instead of the cheap rust away clamp that merc sends to secure the aft end of the bellows to the cable.<br /> good luck and keep posting :)

affa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi, and thanks rodbolt<br />I was thinking of sta strap(like on the trimsenders leads)on the end off the bellow.<br />I got my new parts yesterday, and was thinking I should do the drive stuff first, when its most space on the engine side.<br />I also got my self a manual, and I think Ill try to get the valves done in one engine turn like you told should be possible ;) <br />I was thinking off the new lifters Ive got, does it matters what position I put the hole in the lifters in?<br />Thanks and regards!<br />Affa

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> Affa<br /> I will caution you about doing the valves in just one engine revolution. as a novice its just to easy to mess it up. do the vallves in per cylinder pairs. IE intake and exhaust for #1, then #2,then #3 and the #4. its a longer procedure but you cannot make many mistakes. as far as the lifters go just soak them in oil and pump the plungers while they are submeged to bleed air from them. make sure you dont put them in upside down. ( dont laugh I have seen this) the lifters rotate while the cam turns so the oil holes dont matter on this engine.<br /> good luck and keep posting

affa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK Rodbolt<br />I guess youre right, it is easy to mess up there.<br />Thanks!<br />Regards<br />Affa