Is it important to fog the cylinders during winterization?

brick75

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking to do my own winterization this year, and my shop tells me that one of the things they do is fog the cylinders. Just wondering how important or necessary that is? I've always seen the step of fogging the carb, but don't usually see fogging cylinders as part of the winterization process. It's for a 2005 Volvo 5.0GL. Thanks

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Is it important to fog the cylinders during winterization?

I'm sure you'll get both opinions.

My manual says fog it. I'm pretty sure the dealer didn't do it last year.

I did my winterization myself this year and saved hundreds. I simply put mix fuel in the fuel filter and ran it for 5 minutes. Mine is fuel injected.

Cheers.

haulnazz15

Captain

It's just as easy to spray some wd-40 in each cylinder through the spark plug hole if you want to "fog" the cylinders. The idea is just to leave a coat of oil/lubricant on the cylinder wall to prevent corrosion and serve as a lubricant for first start-up next year. It's a good idea to do it, but it definitely isn't likely to ruin anything if you don't.

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wouldn't use WD-40 as it really isn't a fogging/coating oil. If you are going to spray something use fogging oil.

Also, when fogging the engine when running is coating much more than just the cylinder walls.

John_S

Rear Admiral

If you fog through the carb, the cylinders and pistons get a light coating along with valves and some other surfaces that don't by just by doing the cylinder through spark plug hole. I use WD40 on the outside of the engine.

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

if storing for all the winter i would recommend fogging and 1 can will probably last u 5 years!!

Well I just did my first winterizing this year, and it was fairly easy, my local Cabelas had just about everything I needed, from the outdrive oil fill pump, fogging spray, engine oil, outdrive oil, etc. Anyways, I didnt do the antifreeze method, but did drain all the water out of the engine, and fogged it. I think for $7 for fogging spray its worth doing it.

tkrfxr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is what Mercury Marine recommends for their new EFI/MPI engines.

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/01/01_15.pdf

Nobody fogs these engines through the throttle body, like carbs...

They also don't use the fogging oil in the cylinders through the spark plug ports....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

That bulletin is 9 years old. Wonder if there is a newer one.

I know that Volvo, in their newest operators manual, says only to fog Carb engines and not EFI. Probably due to the Cat Convertors and O2 sensors.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

It also depends on if you are going to leave the boat sitting in the water at the marina, on a trailer out in the weather in a VERY humid place or in your garage.

I keep my boat in a dry garage and have never "fogged" it. My last boat went 39 years without being fogged.

regards,

Rick

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer

i think the main thing if you don't fog make sure you keep the moisture from entering points of entry to cylinders