Need advice on 77' Skipjack 20.5

rlafount

Recruit
I looking at purchasing a 1977 SkipJack 20.5 with a Ford 302 and an OMC outdrive.<br />Is the OMC outdrive reliable? Age of the boat ok?<br />Anything else I should be thinking of?<br /><br />Boat seems to be in excellent shape but I have only owned outboards.<br /><br />Help!!<br /><br />rlafount :eek:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Need advice on 77' Skipjack 20.5

Don't Do It.......<br /><br />The Older OMCs are Not supported by Any Manufacturers.......<br />Your Only Options are Aftermarket, or Used Parts.....<br />The Old OMC ballgear drives were Less than Good when they were New.... <br />What I see around here is, An old boat with an OMC drive is Worth 1/2 the price of the Exact Same Boat with a Merc. or Volvo drive.....

rlafount

Recruit

Bondo,<br /><br />Is it possible to replace the outdrive with a volvo or merc?

Bondo

Staff member

Absolutely AnyThing is Possible,<br /> With Enough Epoxy, Fiberglass, Plywood,+ Money.............

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

If the OMC outdrive is an electric shift, I would advise against it. According to my local outdrive mechanic, parts for the next generation cable shift outdrive, are still readily available. <br /><br />I have had a heavily used 800 series cable shift outdrive on my 1975 boat since 1980. It too uses the 'balldrive gear' and it shows no appreciable wear. Neither have I had to have any repair done to it except one impeller replacement.<br /><br />Personally, I like em. They have a much tighter turning radius than the Mercs, the outdrive comes up in a flash and it comes up far enought that you can change your prop while sitting on the transom of the boat.