Mercury Lubricant Part Numbers

RatFish

Chief Petty Officer
Does anybody know when Mercury High Performance Gear Lube part no. 92-802854A1 was replaced with part no. 92-858064K01? Can they be mixed?

Also, I need to pick up some Coupler grease part no. 92-802869A1 and Gimble bearing grease part no. 92-802870A1. Are these part numbers current or have they been superseded?

Thanks.

RatFish

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercury Lubricant Part Numbers

Bluestream, I think you are on to something. I'm going to check out the links. Thank you. For all you folks wondering about an another answer, here is the answer I got from a fellow boater...

<Gear Lube Part Numer> "I think it changed when the shape of the bottle changed a couple of years ago. Its still the same stuff, mixing would not be a problem.

Your part numbers for gimbal and spline grease are still current."

Brewman61

Ensign

I've noticed other part number changes with Merc in the past years. My oil filter and water seperating fuel filters both have new part numbers but the filters are the same. I'm not as sure about the engine oil or lower unit lube since I don't use those numbers.
I'd be really surprised if Merc changed the forumulation of their lubes in a way that would render one version of High Performance Gear Lube to be incompatible with a prior version of the same lube.
I do have an older quart bottle of 25W-40 that is square in shape, a little while ago they switched to the same rectangle everyone else has. Probably makes shipping a bit cheaper or something.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The Merc Hi Performance gear lube part number can change for many reasons, different packaging, purchaced from a different supplier or even as simple as a different lot number, you can also see a slight color difference from one PN to the next. But the contents of the product is basically the same, and mixing isn't a problem. If there was a problem, I am sure Merc would have sent out a service bulletin to it's dealers or even something on their own site about not mixing, but there isn't any info.
Part number changes happen all the time, not only on oils, filters, etc, but everything. A 2" long stainless steel bolt, may have had half a dozen PN changes over it's lifetime.

As far as spline grease goes, be careful what you get. I know the Sierra brand is blue, but it's not as stringy, nor as thick, nor as long lasting as the OEM brand.

Bluestream

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why is it OMC recommends triple guard grease for coupler splines? This is just a standard tryp of grease. Merc recommends the special spline grease.

I am guessing the shaft and spline don't move in and out much, and this is to keep the shaft from corroding up if exposed to water.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The same reason Merc used 24C before spline grease. As bondo would say, "Any grease is better than no grease at all".

The spline grease is designed to stay on splines longer than regular grease.
It's not an invention of Mercruiser, they just have a grease manufacturer make it for them to their specs.