Hard Sticky Steering on old OMC

Hardcore

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i just tore down and reassembled the outdrive on a 1977 stinger mount 140 OMC outdrive. just reinstalled it today and now it barely steers. it has full range of motion to both sides but is hard to turn, makes clicking noises inside the helm and "catches" and binds up frequently.

this boat is equipped with "Tru Steer" which is a cable operated system.

the boat sat for about 10 years but i believe the steering was working prior to the outdrive removal. any ideas?

reavesga

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Hard Sticky Steering on old OMC

Had one of these for a while. There should be a big nut on each end of the cable that controls the tension in the cable. If you back the nut all the way off, the assembly at each end of the cable start to come apart. Lots of folks make the mistake of really wrenching these down tight with slip locks. Don't do this. Just take it down finger tight.

Second, check the alignment on the gear coming out of the transfer case and the gear in the out drive. If they were "forced" to mesh during reassembly then it will be stiff. You can remove the drive (just 4 bolts) and check stiffness as well. If it is not stiff with the drive off then the problem is in the drive.

If turns out to be a bad cable, I have one I will sell that I know is working good. Think it is 14 ft between centers.

Clicking noise could just be the gears on the TruCourse pointer in the helm. If that is the case the pointer probably will not point, however, it should not effect the steering.