seloc or clymer or ?

jfrey8899

Seaman Apprentice
Need to get a manual. What should I get for 1971 sea swirl with a mercruiser 140 sterndrive. What brand do you guys suggest

jfrey8899

Seaman Apprentice
Re: seloc or clymer or ?

I downloaded this manual. However could not find the same wiring diagram as what I currently have. A couple were close but not same. Do I need to just make it work. 1971 is what the title to boat says. Mercruiser sterndrive. Serial number starts with 296XXXX. I think the earliest serial number this manual starts out with is 377XXXX. Does this sound right.

ziggy

Admiral

I think the earliest serial number this manual starts out with is 377XXXX. Does this sound right.
nope.
it states..

MCM140(4 cyl.) 3771644 and below

that's is the s/m ya need...
However could not find the same wiring diagram as what I currently have.
maybe someone (past owner) clustered your wiring? what's not matching up to your rig?

Bifflefan

Commander

I have a downloaded and printed factory manual an a Seloc.
The seloc is pretty much a photocopy of the factory one. It may be a bit condensed, but I find it works well. I use the seloc as my "taking in the boat and getting dirty one, and leave the factory one in a 3 ring binder for reference.

jfrey8899

Seaman Apprentice

Gauges don't match and I have resister wire and not ballast resister. Could not find my diagram in mercruiser service manual 1. Looking at wiring index now and says nothing about serial number 376XXXX and below. Don't know where you are that. In the seloc man?

JEC

Cadet

My two cents:

The OEM Manual for my Alpha I Gen 2 is comprehensive and specific to the drive I have.

When it saves me only once from a problem it has paid for itself.

jfrey8899

Seaman Apprentice

Might anyone have another link to a wiring diagram for mercruiser 140 with serial number 376XXXX and below. Mine starts with 296XXXX. And thanks for all previous help.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your engine is almost 40 years old. Not hard to think that the ballast resistor may have been replaced with a resistor wire at some point. They do the same exact thing. Instrument panels aren't always Mercruisers. Many boat manufacturers used their own. The wiring diagrams in the link given earlier are the ones for your engine. Probably won't find exactly what you have.

What exactly is your problem, I would bet there are people here that can help you figure out your problem if they knew what it was.

LAC_STS

Master Chief Petty Officer

Mine was resisstor wire too. Unhooked it and rePlaced with ballast resistor and my problem was gone.

All needed was a $12 ballast resistor and about 3 feet of wire.