Oil Filters Auto VS. Marine

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer
Is there any difference between an Auto Oil filter and Marine oil filter??<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Tallman

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Oil Filters Auto VS. Marine

Sorry, you said Oil filter, my mind read fuel filter, and I was going to bring up the water seperating fuel filter. Well my 350 Mag MPI is still under warranty, so for now, I will stick with Marine Oil filter, and Marine fuel, water seperating filters. :eek: <br /><br />Maybe later, after seeing other poster's comments, after my warranty is over, I may consider saving some cash on the Oil filter, but plan to stick with Marine fuel filters. ;) <br /><br />Sorry for posting before reading clearly! My 2 cents. :rolleyes:

LubeDude

Admiral

Someone correct me on this if I am wrong! (Was wrong once).<br /><br />I have been told that the only difference of marine and car oil filters is that the marine cases are thicker to keep them from rusting away!<br /><br />I would have no problem using a high performance type filter! (definatly NOT Fram) Sorry, do a search on the net and you will see why!<br /><br />I would use a Hastings "depth" type or an Amsoil filter! They both have thick cases and are excellent filters! K n N also has a great filter!<br /><br />LubeDude

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer

actually price wise, there is not much of a difference in them. The only reason I am asking is because there are no marine stores near me and I dont have an extra marine filter on hand. I checked and did a cross refrence to fram and put that on for now..<br /><br />T

LubeDude

Admiral

Not to scare you but I would not use the fram, unless you are a tried and true Fram man, Then I would say to use the racing version! The reason is that at continued high RPM Use the fram can colapse or come appart internally! :eek: Go to your local NAPA store and look at the cutaway they have advertising there filters, Most of them have one, You will see what I mean! Ater seeing that and doing some research I wouldnt use one on my lawn mower!! :D <br /><br />LubeDude

andrewgroup

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Filter Oil, is filtering Oil. Family has Been using STP and NAPA on 1969 327 cu. in. 225Hp Merc since it was new. By the way this engine also has been using the napa 3083 oil filter as an extra fuel filter. This was an original equipment fuel filter kit on the boat. This has a Bowl Type glass seperator for H2O.

intrepid

Seaman

Hi all<br /><br />my local store (marine) 4 banger size, charges about $ 18 for a marine filter ( omc or mercury) Cnd.<br /><br /> The equivalent AC delco filter in the v-8 large can size sells for $4.00 at wallmart<br /><br /> Are the filters that diffrent ?<br /><br /> the Ac is a little less thick wall <br /> but no GMC truck drivers complain about burst oil filters, the elemnet inside is much bigger than the 4banger filter in the marine version.<br /><br /> I sometimes think that the marine dealer is askin a bit more for this product than he should hmmmmmm :confused: makes me wonder<br />course never had an engine oil starve itself yet , I've used the more expensive filter ..<br /><br />my seloc manual has a clear picture of a penzoil pzl -5 filter hooked to a 3 liter merc how do they compare ?

elpaso

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have installed and removed over<br />500 Fram filters - have never seen<br />one fail. <br /> <br />If you listen long enought -you can hear a lot<br />of BS - from people that have changed 3- or <br />( their neighbor said )<br /><br />Fram also has the sand paper surface -<br />easy to get a grip.

Bondo

Staff member

Marine,+ Automotive are Exactly the SAME, <br /> Except, for the color + Price.............<br />I've been running NAPAs for years..... <br /><br />IF an oil filter Rusts Out........<br />You Don't Change your Oil Often Enough......

johnkc

Petty Officer 1st Class

retail on the merc 4 cyl and v-8 filter is 7.05 u.s. not sure on the v-6 price.

JasonB

Lieutenant

I have been told that a marine filter may have a little more corrosion resistance, but since I run exclusively in fresh water, I spun on a new Motorcraft FL-1A ($3.77 at Wal-MArt) and have no concerns. <br /><br />As a ford fan, I only run Motorcraft. If I had a GM, I would only run Delco filters. Just a quirk with me, but with the FL-1A, everything I have seen says they are the best bang for the buck.<br /><br />It wouldn't really bother me to use an equivelant Delco filter on my vehicles, but I personally stay away from the Frams, STP's, etc bargain filters. Better or worse I don't know, but I'll stick with what I'm comfy with.

dick

Chief Petty Officer

If your oil filter rusts from the outside in before you change it you probbly will have some other engine problems first , LOL. Use a good quality name brand filter, thats it.

dhammann

Petty Officer 1st Class

Too much emphasis is put on the oil filter, it is worthy to note that 100% of the oil does not go through the filter at all but is by-passed!!! At WOT and cold temperatures very little oil goes through the filter and even if it did most of the metallic contaniments will not stay in suspension and will sink to the bottom of the oil pan….this is why it is important to change your oil. The low micron filters trap more dirt but have higher flow restriction which allows more bypass and less filtration , so it is a trade off. Personally I have used the Wal-Mart brand filters (and oil) for years with excellent results…..it is routine maintenance and common sense that will insure longevity.

Durangomania

Cadet

I have used the auto filters on my OMC I/O Ford V8 for over 5 years, no problems at all. I change every both fuel and oil filters every year. BUT, the cost is not much different, so don't let that be the determining factor. Ray

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Guys....I can't believe how much discussion there is on an item that's only worth a few $$. I can go and buy a Fram at Walmart for $3.99 CDN but I go and buy the OMC filter for my engine from the OMC dealer for $6.95 CDN. Is it worth the extra $3, I don't know but for something I only change once a year maybe it gives me peace of mind. Considering I spend over $10,00 a year (boat payment, marina fee's, fuel, other maint items) $3 is not even a drop in the bucket. Now if I was going to complain about something I just bought a dist cap for my 460 Cobra and it was $45 CDN from the dealer, how good a deal is that?

tylerin

Commander

Agree w/ boatin bob. I try to buy stuff from my marine parts store that way, when I need to borrow a alignment tool, pullers etc. they don't blink an eye. They know me by name. They don't even ask for a deposit anymore. That to me is worth more than saving a few pennies on a filter

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

I have been in the auto supply industry for 35+ years. Remember this, most manufacturers don't make their own consumables. Most buy from outside sources that manufacture to a specification laid down by the OEM. All reputable filter manufacturers will have a warranty on their products and provided you use the correct X/ref from OE part no there should be no problems. Don't ever match product by sight only as there can be considerable internal differences to be found between similar looking products.<br />Good luck<br />Peter Fraser<br />in New Zealand

pra51

Seaman

There is a diference if where you live you can get a omc filter.My motor a omc 4.3lt 1991 model has a remote oil filter,the only thing I can get in my town is a mercury filter,which i could find a napa or wiz filter that would fit it.Wen to napa,took filter with me,they couldn't match it.Oh well.

dhammann

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it makes you more comfortable buying from a marina, do so....however if you live miles from one like I do go to Wal-Mart, NAPA or whatever...it won't make a "hill of beans" difference!!

andrewgroup

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Earlier someone posted that Oil Filters Collapse. Not true, they might explode since the oil is pushed through them, not sucked. The seam where the cannister is crimped to the spin-on plate has come apart before according to some users, resulting in oil spraying everywhere.<br /><br />Personally my new choice for all filters are American Made by BALDWIN FILTERS.. TWO BIG REASONS<br /><br />1. Good filters (I believe they make AIMSOIL filters in a OEM deal)<br /><br />2. American Made. (OK this is my number 1 reason)<br /><br />My GearLube is AIMSOIL 75-90 TGR series 2000 in both my 1969 Type II and my Cobra OMC. Engine Lube is Aimsoil 20-50 Synth in both boats and all 4 cars in the family.<br /><br />Will be installing Aimsoil TRans and Rear gear on next car tune-ups.....