Bravo 3 Speedometer tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC20

Petty Officer 1st Class
Speedometer does not work on a Bravo 3. I think I found the tube that goes to the drive right behind the Zinc that mounts to the front. It has a zip tie around it and a white plastic piece with a pointed end.
Am I on the right track here?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bravo 3 Speedometer tube

It should connect into a hole in the lower unit. Here is how to install it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• speedo tube.jpg
    speedo tube.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 75

DC20

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Don,
There was some sand in the yellow fitting, I'll find out next time out if that fixed it. The diagram does say to leave the handle pointed forward, the handle will tighten another 1/8? of a turn to fully seat it (that is the way it was), should I keep it pointed forward or fully seated?
Thanks.

TilliamWe

Banned

It doesn't matter, it'll get clogged up with gunk again soon! Get used to judging your speed by your tachometer, because your speedo will be so inconsistant, that you don't want to rely on it. ;)
The hole in the leading edge of the lower unit, just above the "bullet" gets clogged easily too.

Tailguner

Seaman

exactly speedo rarely work for long periods. if you are wanting to know you speed far better to get a little $75 hand held gps.

DC20

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys, just wanted to see if it would work. A Garmin is on the wish list. Tach is broken, stuck on 250 rpm. Apparently I have Faria gauges made especially for Larson and PO all ready took out the stock tach otherwise I would send it in too Faria to get fixed.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Tach is broken,

Fix the tach, or replace it.
You need it. That is how you decide on props (WOT rpm), first thing that will show up engine problems (loosing rpm). It's a "must have" troubleshooting tool.

DC20

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am, looking right now to see if I can find a tach that matches the rest of the Faria/Larson gauge set.
Thanks Don.

DC20

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think I have a blockage. Does the speedo fitting passage go to the bullet opening at the front? I can get a wire about 2 1/2" in and it stops. I know it won't be accurate, I just like everything to work:D

On a side note I started the motor today with the bow up, I noticed just spits of water coming out the exhaust, I lowered the trailer jack and it all flowed like it should, did I do any harm? No alarms or anything.
Thanks.

TilliamWe

Banned

I think I have a blockage. Does the speedo fitting passage go to the bullet opening at the front? I can get a wire about 2 1/2" in and it stops...

Yes. And you probably do have a blockage. This is the most common place for that blockage to occur:
MVC-111S.jpg

You can see the crud in mine in the photo.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I tried un-clogging my Bravo III when I had it off. I was never able to clean it out and I used everything short of drilling it out. (I even used a piece of SS welding rod and a drill)

I finally gave up.

I already had a pitot type pick up on the back anyway (and I have GPS!)

erez

dubs283

Vice Admiral

to check speedo operation, use compressed air in the hole in the front of the bullet (as shown in the photo above)

be gentle though - you can cause damage to the guage if too much pressure is applied

don't hold the air gun directly over the hole, hold it about 1/2" away and have a helper watch the guage - it should register, if not there is blockage or a hole in the line somewhere

DC20

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I got the speedo working!
I used 14 gauge house wire. I made different sized drill bits with the wire (tips cut at an angle) and pulled out dried seaweed. I also used the plastic sheathing from the wire to put over the end of a ball blow up fitting to run into the holes to clean out with air.

Can anyone comment on my other observation::confused:

On a side note I started the motor today with the bow up, I noticed just spits of water coming out the exhaust, I lowered the trailer jack and it all flowed like it should, did I do any harm? No alarms or anything.
Thanks.

charlieennis

Recruit

I really appreciate this forum. I have a Mercruiser Bravo III and I saw the attch about how the speedoo tube fits to the sterndrive. What manual did that attach come from. I have the 28 Bravo III sterndrive manual.

I need to replace the speedo tube. Just under the exhaust bellows there is a tear in the speedometer tube so I need to replace it. Where can I find diagrams about how to replace the speedometer tube from the sterndrive to the speedo head

? Thanks again. I think it's great that you guys share your knowledge this way.

Well I got the speedo working!
I used 14 gauge house wire. I made different sized drill bits with the wire (tips cut at an angle) and pulled out dried seaweed. I also used the plastic sheathing from the wire to put over the end of a ball blow up fitting to run into the holes to clean out with air.

Can anyone comment on my other observation::confused:

Thanks.

Im having the same issue. I will try the 14g wire thing. I was using a coat hanger in my drill and it feels almost like theres a 90 degree elbow in there. Is there? or when I bust through the blockage will my wire easily slide through from the pickup hole to the top where the tubing attaches? Great idea on the ball inflator to get air in there! Thanks

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Don.

Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to post all these answers .

I was able to fix my speedo based on the content in this conversation.

It should connect into a hole in the lower unit. Here is how to install it.

attachment.php

achris

More fish than mountain goat
rock doc

Don S passed away quite a few years ago. You have posted to a 9 year old thread, in violation of Forum rules.

Thread closed.

Chris
iboats mod team

Status
Not open for further replies.