470 Mercruiser - Smoking Voltage Regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longhorn14

Recruit
I have a 1986 mercruiser - 170 hp and it has an external - water-cooled voltage regulator. It is smoking and burning a hole at one of the contact points. What is causing this? help

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 470 Mercruiser - Smoking Voltage Regulator

...these water-cooled regulators were problematic from day one. By now, most of us 3.7 owners have converted to one-wire alternators and I am yet to hear of futher problems.

Your choice is to either procure a used regulator (EBay) or make the conversion. I promise you will be more than satisfied if you convert.

To answer your question: several possibilities.

(a) The stator attempted to charge a dead battery
(b) The engine was run without a battery connected
(c) The regulator overheated from insufficient cooling water
(d) The stator attempted to charge multiple batteries with the Perko
switched to 'both'.
(e) Old age finally caught up with it
(f) Corroded connections allowing false 'sensing' signal
(g) And an endless array of possibilities :)

zbnutcase

Commander

Do yourself a huge favor and convert to a real alternator; about your only real choice as the reg is NLA, and you already own a used one!

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer

i converted it's well worth it don't put a new voltage regulator back on it will give you problems later i learned from my mistake

skidaddy7921

Recruit

I have been burning up batteries for several years. My volt meter is constantly showing 16 volts and pegging higher. After running long and hard, when I stop and try to restart the battery appears almost dead, barely turning the engine over and maybe a click or two. I can wait awhile and she starts fine. I think it is the voltage regulator on the 1987 470. How do I change over to the one wire alternator. Thanks.

I have been burning up batteries for several years. My volt meter is constantly showing 16 volts and pegging higher. After running long and hard, when I stop and try to restart the battery appears almost dead, barely turning the engine over and maybe a click or two. I can wait awhile and she starts fine. I think it is the voltage regulator on the 1987 470. How do I change over to the one wire alternator. Thanks.

Welcome Aboard, these old threads are for reference only unless your the original poster. You should start your own new thread and we will be happy to help you out.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Old thread, but I'd be interested in details. We had a thread about this a few years ago, the op disappeared after claiming a similar fix...

Status
Not open for further replies.