• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

DIY skeg replacement

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY skeg replacement

I pulled my boat (with the trim down) out of my garage (with a 2" drop from the floor to the driveway) and broke my skeg, along with a nice plastic (yea, plastic) prop.. Anyway I read thru a search and found a (incompleate discription of a) DIY skeg replacement (involving making a template and having a machine shop bending the metal). Does anyony have any info on a DIY (besides a pre made skeg gaurd) gaurd? I have a machine shop nearby that does reasonable work and would like to put them to use. This is a fishing boat project and I do not wish to sink the 100 bucks in a skeg gaurd (but I hate looking at the broken one).

Re: DIY skeg replacement

I watched that project on DIY - a Skeggard has got to be a lot cheaper and is without question, a LOT easier.DIY WayFirst, you have to buy a replacement skeg from one of only a handful of companies that even make them. Then you need to cut saw-tooth patterns on both your I/O skeg and the replacement skeg and make sure they are an excellent fit when you're done. Then you need to bring it to a shop and have it specialty welded. Then you have to grind it all down and paint it. Oh, and did I mention you have to pull off your I/O, and break it in half to do all this work? And, because of all the heat generated you need to be careful you don't damage your lower half.According to Shipshape boating on DIY you cant weld straight across as it will quickly fail.FORGETABOUTIT! When I watched the show I laughed at how difficult they were making what is a very simple repair. SkEGGARD wayFOr $100 + 5 minutes (really, 5 minutes) you can have a new polished stainless steel skeg. You slip it on, drill through the already existing holes in the Skeggard with a 1/4" bit. Put some included loctite on the included fasteners, slip them through the holes, tightent them, and you are done.I put Skeggards on my twins. It took less than 10 minutes total and they look really nice! You can find them on eBay if they aren't here on iBoats. Just use the link below and search for "Skeg"http://listings.ebaymotors.com/pool1/plistings/list/all/category26443/index.html?from =R11

Comment

My local repair shop will replace your skeg for about the same price 90-100 bucks (less if you pull the lower unit). The problem I see w/ the (skeggard) is that if you hit something again your likely to damage the propshaft housing. Those holes that you drill are real close to the housing, and in my opinion could shear off at the screws and possibly damage your lower unit. No experience w/ this setup, just my opinion.

Comment

The Skeg guards mount with shear fastners designed to break if you hit something thereby preventing any lowr unit damage. The holes for the fasteners are like 2 - 3" below the shaft housing which is why you need about that much of your skeg remaining to use them. I would think the chances of damaging your lower unit are less with this approach than with a solid, properly welded skeg.Your local shop will do all that work for $100 - remove the I/O, break it, cut the saw tooths, weld, grind paint and remoun the I/O? not bad. I wouldn't.

Comment

90-100 dollars was from about 6 years ago. I'm sure the price has gone up, but I'd pay more to have, as you put it RS, " a solid, properly welded skeg" The original set-up is designed to work or we wouldn't be having this discussion. Again, this is just my opinion.

Comment

I don't know, a lot of people here have had a lot of success with them (that's how I found out about them) and because they are solid stainless steel they are stronger and look better. They are an exact duplicate shape and size wise of the aluminum skeg... I use them and am really happy with them. FOr a $100 and 5 minuets work you can't beat em. JMHO.

Comment

total agreement here with the skeg guard. Bought one myself this summer ($99US), and it looks, and works great. And it comes with a set of extra sheerpins if you do sheer if off again, the believe being that if you're in shallow enough water to loose it in the first place, you may find it again too To weld the skeg properly, the lower drive SHOULD be disassembled to prevent damage to the seals, so with labour for that and the welding, you are usually looking at $3-400 minimum to repair it. And remember, the skeg guard is meant for use on GOOD skegs too, just to protect them.

Comment

jawzzy - exacly. My skegs are fine but I put them on for added protection and looks They are nice looking and they have the skid plate on the bottom for those ramp scrapes

Comment

Sounds good, but what do you do if the skeg is bent. I understand that the skegard won't fit over a bent skeg.How do you straighten? That's my dilema.

Comment

Has anyone used a skeg gard and kept their boat in salt water.I would like to get a pair for my drives but I am concerned with disimilar metals and what they do in salt water.Charlie

Comment

It's made of stainless, so there shouldn't be any dissimilar metal/corrosion problems.

Comment

I'm in salt and have SGs on my Twins - no problems at all. Like john said they are 100% SS.jstamatov, You have to just bend the skeg straight or you can even just cut off the bent portion. They are Aluminum so you should be able to straighten it pretty easily.

Comment

There certainly are dissimilar metals.stainless skeggard on an alum outdrive.Same as the problems related to a stainless prop on alum outdrive.Putting the boat in Salt water is one thing and keeping it in salt water is a completely different thing.I am concerned with setting up a potential problem.I keep it in salt water from May until the end of October.Thats a lot of time for damage.Charlie

Comment

CC, Kinda like your trim anchor pins and all the other hardware on your I/O which are all SS and cause no problems. I'm not exactly sure why but I have a few theories. You can ask skeggard directly (www.skeggard.com)

Comment

Ralph,do you keep your boat in salt water or do you trailer it??My zincs are pretty used up by the end of the season and i dont think it would be wise to add any additional stainless if i can help it.But it sure would be nice to have 2 shiny new skegs on the back of my boat. charlie

Comment

Working...
                              X