Outdrive Leaking Water into Boat

bearlaker

Cadet
Hello All

I'm a new member of this site and could really use some help. I have a 1986 Four Winns with the Volvo Penta outdrive. I had it out this weekend and noticed the boat was taking on water inside the engine compartment. The water is coming in at the top of the outdrive portion. I'm assuming it's a bad seal. Is this something that I could fix myself (Fairly mechanical), or is it best to take it to the shop.

Thanks in advance!

Philster

Captain
Re: Outdrive Leaking Water into Boat

It's the bellows. That's what you need to search on. Using that term will get more hits or attention.

I say you need to replace all bellows and check the mechanicals for corrosion while you're at it.

Searching should yield some results.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

I vote bellows as well... Can you do it? Absolutely! Pretty common repair. A flex extension sure makes it easier..

bearlaker

Cadet

Awesome. Thanks for the help. Mine is actually on an 86 Four Winns. Great Boats!!

How much time should I expect (then I'll times that by 2)....

howlnmad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

bearlaker,
Philster may very well be right but run some tests before you go yanking the drive off. Put muffs on it in the driveway first and eliminate the water inlet hose. You're sure it's not a transom seal leaking? Like I said, Philster is probably right on the drive bellows. If you do pull the drive, be sure to check the gimbal bearing while it's out.

reelization

Cadet

I had the same problem w/ mine but it wasnt the bellow. The pin worked out from my hydraulic ram for my trim and tilt. Looking from the front of the motor, Left side down where the outdrive hooks to the engine. Was enough water to make me very uncomfortable. Just a thought for you.

captmello

Captain

If water is coming in through the bellows, and making its way into the bilge,you've got much more repair work ahead of you. What model outdrive do you have?

bearlaker

Cadet

Not what I wanted to hear. Outdrive is an Alpha One. Leaking just started this past weekend (not sure if that makes a difference).

captmello

Captain

You said it was a Volvo in your first post?:confused:

bearlaker

Cadet

They're NOT "QUICK" to say what is leaking but offering suggestions, AND experiences which I APPRECIATE!!!!

You need to chill out!