1968 Mercruiser 120 starter wont stop cranking

Spivy30

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just bought a 1968 Starcraft Holiday with a 120 mercruiser. I havent had the boat out on the water but when I try to start it on the hose the starters stays enguaged most of the time. I checked the ignition switch and swapped it out with a different one and northing changed. It wont start in gear but if it wont stop cranking and I put it in gear it doesnt stop. The only way to get it to stop cranking is to disconnect the battery. Usually when I try and reconnect the battery it starts cranking again. The previous owner out a new starting solenoid in it a few days before I bought it. Is it possible that the new soleniod is sticking I can hear it clicking. Im affraid to do anything thing with the boat because I dont want to burn out the starter. Does the new solenoid need to be greased or anything?

AdellAdam

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1968 Mercruiser 120 starter wont stop cranking

remove the relay wire (the small wire leading into the starter) and see what happens. If it keeps going it would be an internal starter problem. Possiblity that the solenoid is sticking or the throw bearing is sticking. pull the starter off and see if the gear will move. If it's suck take the solenoid off and see if it will move freely.

zbnutcase

Commander

I've run into several sticking solenoids lately, as most all the ones you get now are chinese garbage; i've seen 'em stick on the very first use!

Spivy30

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the reply ill check it out and most likely take this solenoid back.

Spivy30

Petty Officer 1st Class

Took the solenoid off and everything seems ok as far as the starter goes the it must be something with the solenoid. I tried to put some grease in the solenoid but that didn't help. It looks like a auto grade solenoid should I replace with marine grade?