where to install water pressure gauge?

trooperjim

Cadet
I have a 4.3 in a 1999 stingray. I wish to plug in a water pressure gauge but not sure where to plug the thing in at. I have a spare port on the thermostat housing. Will this work? I have looked at the block and head and there is nothing. There are a couple of plugged ports on the intake but I don't know what they will go to.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: where to install water pressure gauge?

.....perhaps we could offer a suggestion or two, but first......

Why would you want to install a water pressure gauge??? And, to measure what? Cooling water pressure? Internal block pressure?:confused:

trooperjim

Cadet

I was told by some other boaters that a water pressure gauge is a good idea in that it helps monitor the condition of your water pump in the outdrive. As the pump starts to deteriorate, the gauge will start to show a decrease in pressure. Something to compare the water temp with I guess. It's a new boat to me, I am going to replace the pump in the spring just as general maintenance (I know you should change them every two or three seasons and I don't know anything about the history of the boat). An extra gauge to help prevent something catostrophic always sounds like a good idea to me.

thumpar

Admiral

Why would you want a water pressure gauge? If you don't have water you will know it from the water temp.

trooperjim

Cadet

Read the above. I believe we were typing at the same time.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

...I can appreciate your concern but don't really see the need.

As previously stated, your temperature gauge/alarm will notify you.

If you insist on the insurance factor, a flow gauge would be more appropriate than a pressure gauge as the volume of the cooling water is more important than its pressure (though a high pressure reading may indicate an upsteam restriction)

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

I was told by some other boaters that a water pressure gauge is a good idea in that it helps monitor the condition of your water pump in the outdrive

I have been told by some that if you cant spot the sucker at the table that its probably you.

Did you happen to see your buddies water pressure gauges by chance?

They didn't tell you that your muffler bearings were bad and that you headlight fluid was low did they???

Just change your impeller regularly and just go boating...

dubs283

Vice Admiral

some outboards have water pressure guages

some newer mercruiser water pumps have water pressure switches that give a warning tone when water pressure drops below a certain threshold

my experience with anything is: if you want it, the only limit is your pocketbook

if you want the peace of mind of knowing your water pressure - install everything you need for it/have it done, either way it will be a small boost for the economy

trooperjim

Cadet

ok. Thanks for all the opinions...again, can anyone answer my question?

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

.....in one of the hardest to reach places there is a cooling water supply hose more-or -less centered in the lower transom beneath and behind the engine.

Not being completely familiar with the plumbing arrangement of your boat, follow the hose off the hull barb and mount your instrument in a convient location. This will give you cooling water inlet conditions.

cr2k

Captain

Impeller should be changed every 2 years or LESS not 2 or 3. If you have just bought the boat and do not know the condition of the impeller CHANGE IT. Don't rely on some gauge that can be affected by debris or restrictions.

thumpar

Admiral

Impeller should be changed every 2 years or LESS not 2 or 3. If you have just bought the boat and do not know the condition of the impeller CHANGE IT. Don't rely on some gauge that can be affected by debris or restrictions.
I changed mine after 3.5 years and it was still in perfect shape. We only get about 15-20 hours a year so will stick with the 3 year change.

Moggy23

Cadet

ok. Thanks for all the opinions...again, can anyone answer my question?

When it comes to water pressure gauges fitted to marine engines is a great option.:cool:
I have picked up cabage weed 3 times and spotted water pressure drop, stopped and reversed up, got pressure back and back on my way before the alarm has come on.:(

I know a guy that cooked his Mercruiser, cause he left the ear muffs on, if he had a pressure gauge and alarm system, he may have saved it.

trooperjim
I have fitted one to a 5.7 Alpha one thermo housing spare port.
Pressures vary from 5 - 6 psi depending weather the thermostat is opened or not.
Mercruiser do a kit.
I don't know what all the fuss is about, I always ckeck it when firing the engine up:confused:
Just ask if you want anymore info;)

BOYSDAYOUT

Recruit

I have done the same Im with Moggy on this one :):)for peace of mind go for it::D:D:cool:

a70eliminator

Captain

I like the idea, can't have too many functional guages, although you do have an engine temp guage all it tells you is your overheating, it doesn't know if the t-stat is faulty or a hose is pinched collapsed, circulating pump trouble ect.
but like Ediiepetty said you have to pull off the raw water supply hose before the thermostat, on my Cobra it would be just before the powersteering cooler, a simple reducing tee barbed fitting something like 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/4 and a,, I don't know pressure you should see off the impeller? a 0-15 lb like a fuel pressure guage maybe.

trooperjim

Cadet

I already bought a guauge...generic directions of course. I'm glad some of you guys support me on this. I knew I wasn't that far out in left field! I'll see if I can find where the water come in, I like that idea!

Moggy23

Cadet

I like the idea, can't have too many functional guages, although you do have an engine temp guage all it tells you is your overheating, it doesn't know if the t-stat is faulty or a hose is pinched collapsed, circulating pump trouble ect.
but like Ediiepetty said you have to pull off the raw water supply hose before the thermostat, on my Cobra it would be just before the powersteering cooler, a simple reducing tee barbed fitting something like 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/4 and a,, I don't know pressure you should see off the impeller? a 0-15 lb like a fuel pressure guage maybe.

You'll lose waterpressure first, then starts overheating so the water pressure is the first warning.
The problem with temp gauges they start waving when there is no water present, providing the alarm dosen't warns you first

Adirondack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So let me get this right. The exhaust riser can be competely plugged restricting volume flow to near nothing, but as long as there's 5 to 6 pounds of pressure in the system it's all good? To me, in an open system the lower the pressure the better. It's flow that counts. I don't think I have ever seen a builder installed water pressure gage. Of course there is a lot I haven't seen, but you would think if any useful information could be gained by it, a manufacturer would have thought of it as an added whistle to sell.

Looks like someone has. ;)

Moggy23

Cadet

So let me get this right. The exhaust riser can be competely plugged restricting volume flow to near nothing, but as long as there's 5 to 6 pounds of pressure in the system it's all good? To me, in an open system the lower the pressure the better. It's flow that counts. I don't think I have ever seen a builder installed water pressure gage. Of course there is a lot I haven't seen, but you would think if any useful information could be gained by it, a manufacturer would have thought of it as an added whistle to sell.

Looks like someone has. ;)

If exhaust riser is nearly plugged, pressures go up with the temperature.
The 5 to 6 psi is based on new pumps, manifolds, risers and correct gaskets.
Flow is just as important as some pressure, pressure aids and stops localize boiling around exhaust ports and other hot spots in the cyl head.:cool:
Mercuiser sell this as an option and its one that I use cause I understand the mechanics, as it's my living.
I don't care if people don't believe me, those who want to listen may benefit.

Simoniz

Petty Officer 1st Class

A water pressure gauge isnt a bad idea.

If for any reason the supply of cooling water gets cut off, the first thing that will happen is that the water pressure will drop.

By the time your temperature gauge shows anything, the exhaust system on your boat will probably be hot enough to ruin the rubber parts (flapper, possibly connectors and the plastic pipe in the water pump. On some engines, the water temperature sender is simply a temperature measuring device thats screwed into the outside of the water jacket and sticks into the flow of cooling water. If the water drains out, the first thing it will indicate is a drop in temperature as the water, which temp it was measuring is no longer present. Only when the engine has got hot enough to register on the sensor will it then show an overheat, by which time the engine is ruined.

Id tee into the water feed pipe that runs from the stern drive up to the engine thermostat housing and measure the pressure there.