where to install water pressure gauge?

trooperjim

Cadet
Re: where to install water pressure gauge?

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x86/trooperjim/boat/1.jpg

2.jpg

ok, My next question. I have located where the water comes out of the transom (1st pic) i'm assuming this is where i want to connect the gauge. This hose curves around to the top and leads to pic 2. then it goes into a metal tube. also on the metal tube, the powersteering connects one hose to the tube. what does this do? why does it hook up to the water line? is it maybe a dead end? at the far right of picture two, it turns back into hose again and then leads to the thermostat housing. would it be ok to put it here prior to the therm housing?it would be alot simpler to get to. or does it need to be closest to the transom?

a70eliminator

Captain

That is a shell and tube heat exchanger, hot steering fluid flows through the tube and water flows around the tube and carries heat away which cools the steering fluid, the shell of the heat exchanger should have a pipe plug for draining and mignt be a clean quick way to plumb in your guage.

So. in theory the psi gauge would tell you when the impeller was due for replacement. If you know what the psi should be with a new impeller at idle and at speed, you'll know when it's ready to change.

If pressure is lower than normal would indicate restriction before gauge, or bad impeller; pressure higher than normal, indicate restriction after gauge.

Just don't forget to keep an eye on the gauges..

trooperjim

Cadet

ahhhh that makes perfect sense. No port on the heat exchange tube though. Does it make much difference which side of the exchange tube I T my line into?

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

Seems like you would put it the same place as a skyhook.. lol.. Seems like you would want a possible flow gauge.. I never heard of anyone installing a "pressure gauge" on a boat engine.. Not that it hasn't been done.. Or that it don't have some kinda benefit.. I just don't see it.. I would change my impeller yearly and watch my temp gauge..

AdellAdam

Seaman Apprentice

A flow gauge wouldn't show any movement if the T-stat is closed.

Simoniz

Petty Officer 1st Class

A flow gauge wouldn't show any movement if the T-stat is closed.

Why post if you don't know what you're talking about?

He's proposing to put the (pressure not flow) gauge in the water feed line which supplies water to the engine and exhaust constantly, whether the thermostat is open or closed. If the thermostat is closed, the feed water flows through the exhaust manifolds and then overboard, mixing with the exhaust as it does so, but the flow is exactly the same, whether ornot the thermostat allows somw of that water to flow round the engine.

Moggy23

Cadet

ahhhh that makes perfect sense. No port on the heat exchange tube though. Does it make much difference which side of the exchange tube I T my line into?

Another PM sent

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

People have been monitoring water pressure on outboards
163783d1257181847t-mercury-water-pressure-gauge-water-pressure-gauge.jpg

and i/o's for decades...I don't know why so many are all over this like it's a dumb idea.
For anyone with a Lowrance fuel flow meter or chartplotter, can add a water pressure sensor for about $70 - plug and play

low120-29.jpg

Moggy23

Cadet

People have been monitoring water pressure on outboards
and i/o's for decades...I don't know why so many are all over this like it's a dumb idea.
For anyone with a Lowrance fuel flow meter or chartplotter, can add a water pressure sensor for about $70 - plug and play

Cause they don,t understand the mechanics of it and with replys' it shows how much they don't know.:rolleyes:
All my last 3 boats, cats and mono have had factory option water pressure gauges from Johnson, Mercury and Mercruiser.:)
In 3 cases I,ve seen water pressure drop, stopped backed up and cleared the intake and of on my way again.:D