• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

where to install water pressure gauge?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to install water pressure gauge?

I have a 4.3 in a 1999 stingray. I wish to plug in a water pressure gauge but not sure where to plug the thing in at. I have a spare port on the thermostat housing. Will this work? I have looked at the block and head and there is nothing. There are a couple of plugged ports on the intake but I don't know what they will go to.

Re: where to install water pressure gauge?

.....perhaps we could offer a suggestion or two, but first......

Why would you want to install a water pressure gauge??? And, to measure what? Cooling water pressure? Internal block pressure?
    Eddie Petty. #3 Dirt Modified
    Courtland, Virginia
    V-20 Wellcraft
    3.7 470 Mercruiser

Stumpnocker
    25 Yamaha, 25 Johnson, 25 Evinrude, 9.9 Evinrude, 4 Johnson, 2.5 Johnson

Comment

I was told by some other boaters that a water pressure gauge is a good idea in that it helps monitor the condition of your water pump in the outdrive. As the pump starts to deteriorate, the gauge will start to show a decrease in pressure. Something to compare the water temp with I guess. It's a new boat to me, I am going to replace the pump in the spring just as general maintenance (I know you should change them every two or three seasons and I don't know anything about the history of the boat). An extra gauge to help prevent something catostrophic always sounds like a good idea to me.

Comment

Why would you want a water pressure gauge? If you don't have water you will know it from the water temp.
        83 Sunrunner 16.5 120 merc Alpha 1 drive SOLD 8/1/13

1996 Crownline 202BR
        5.7l EFI 0f791070
        Bravo I drive

Comment

Read the above. I believe we were typing at the same time.

Comment

...I can appreciate your concern but don't really see the need.

As previously stated, your temperature gauge/alarm will notify you.

If you insist on the insurance factor, a flow gauge would be more appropriate than a pressure gauge as the volume of the cooling water is more important than its pressure (though a high pressure reading may indicate an upsteam restriction)
            Courtland, Virginia
            V-20 Wellcraft
            3.7 470 Mercruiser

Stumpnocker

Comment

I was told by some other boaters that a water pressure gauge is a good idea in that it helps monitor the condition of your water pump in the outdrive
              I have been told by some that if you cant spot the sucker at the table that its probably you.

Did you happen to see your buddies water pressure gauges by chance?

They didn't tell you that your muffler bearings were bad and that you headlight fluid was low did they???

Just change your impeller regularly and just go boating...
              sigpic

1969 StarCraft Chieftain, 4.3 Mercruiser Alpha One Gen II

Link To Restoration Page

----------------------------------------------------

Its What I Don't Say You Should Be Worried About...

Comment

some outboards have water pressure guages

some newer mercruiser water pumps have water pressure switches that give a warning tone when water pressure drops below a certain threshold

my experience with anything is: if you want it, the only limit is your pocketbook

if you want the peace of mind of knowing your water pressure - install everything you need for it/have it done, either way it will be a small boost for the economy
                Sometimes when people try to save a penny, they end up spending a dollar

It is best to fully understand how to properly operate, inspect, troubleshoot and repair your equipment

Comment

ok. Thanks for all the opinions...again, can anyone answer my question?

Comment

.....in one of the hardest to reach places there is a cooling water supply hose more-or -less centered in the lower transom beneath and behind the engine.

Not being completely familiar with the plumbing arrangement of your boat, follow the hose off the hull barb and mount your instrument in a convient location. This will give you cooling water inlet conditions.
                    Courtland, Virginia
                    V-20 Wellcraft
                    3.7 470 Mercruiser

Stumpnocker

Comment

Impeller should be changed every 2 years or LESS not 2 or 3. If you have just bought the boat and do not know the condition of the impeller CHANGE IT. Don't rely on some gauge that can be affected by debris or restrictions.
                      When will people learn that impellers require regular
                      replacement and are not drive it till it pukes items?

1984 Regal Medallion 195
                      3.8 V-6 with the dreaded
                      OMC Stringer Drive.
                      2003 Avalanche w/Hypertech

If it ain't fixable - don't break it!

Comment

Originally posted by cr2k View Post
                        Impeller should be changed every 2 years or LESS not 2 or 3. If you have just bought the boat and do not know the condition of the impeller CHANGE IT. Don't rely on some gauge that can be affected by debris or restrictions.
                        I changed mine after 3.5 years and it was still in perfect shape. We only get about 15-20 hours a year so will stick with the 3 year change.
                        83 Sunrunner 16.5 120 merc Alpha 1 drive SOLD 8/1/13

1996 Crownline 202BR
                        5.7l EFI 0f791070
                        Bravo I drive

Comment

Originally posted by trooperjim View Post
                          ok. Thanks for all the opinions...again, can anyone answer my question?
                          When it comes to water pressure gauges fitted to marine engines is a great option.
                          I have picked up cabage weed 3 times and spotted water pressure drop, stopped and reversed up, got pressure back and back on my way before the alarm has come on.

I know a guy that cooked his Mercruiser, cause he left the ear muffs on, if he had a pressure gauge and alarm system, he may have saved it.

trooperjim
                          I have fitted one to a 5.7 Alpha one thermo housing spare port.
                          Pressures vary from 5 - 6 psi depending weather the thermostat is opened or not.
                          Mercruiser do a kit.
                          I don't know what all the fuss is about, I always ckeck it when firing the engine up
                          Just ask if you want anymore info

Comment

I have done the same Im with Moggy on this one for peace of mind go for it:

Comment

I like the idea, can't have too many functional guages, although you do have an engine temp guage all it tells you is your overheating, it doesn't know if the t-stat is faulty or a hose is pinched collapsed, circulating pump trouble ect.
                              but like Ediiepetty said you have to pull off the raw water supply hose before the thermostat, on my Cobra it would be just before the powersteering cooler, a simple reducing tee barbed fitting something like 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/4 and a,, I don't know pressure you should see off the impeller? a 0-15 lb like a fuel pressure guage maybe.
                              '90 Chaparral 2000SL
                              5.8 Cobra
                              '67 MFG Westfield Regal
                              80hp V-4
                              (No private messages)

Comment

Working...
                              X