Boat Leans LEFT after planing off? WHY is that?

loadnet

Petty Officer 1st Class
Boat is a 21 Seapro WA 305 I/O with a bent skeg.<br /><br />This boat leans left like a Mo Jumper... <br /><br />It does not PULL LEFT -- it only leans to the left like crazy.<br /><br />There are no trim tabs on this boat...<br /><br />however,<br />Yes, it does have a stabilizer fin on the lower unit which I'm about to remove to see if that rectifies the problem.<br /><br />Also my SKEG is bent to port side quite a bit.<br /><br />Can a bent skeg cause the boat to lean to the left once it's up on plane?<br /><br />Please advise..<br />Thanks,<br />Pat B. customerservice@401hosting.com

djvan

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boat Leans LEFT after planing off? WHY is that?

I had a bent skeg on my boat until I recently replaced the lower with a rebuilt, it didn't seem to lean or pull or anything like that, but since I've replaced the lower with a rebuilt and new housing it does this. I think maybe I got the stingray stabilizer on a little crooked. It looks straight though.<br /><br />DougV>

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Captian does the boat lean at all planing speeds or just at minimum planing speed, some extremely deep V single screw hulls will lean over at slow speeds due to propeller torque then straiting right up with slight increase in rpm/speed, at least this is what I discoverd with my Wellcraft Eclipse and my dads Wellcraft Classic both hulls are 22% deadrise hulls. So I'v learned to correct it will speed adjustments, other than slow planing speed My boat keeps a even keel even in strong cross winds.

loadnet

Petty Officer 1st Class

First.. thanks for the getback on this as it is driving me nuts over here.<br /><br />This boat leans LEFT at ALL planing speeds.. doesn't matter what phase or how fast I'm going when planing..<br /><br />I can also let go of the wheel and the boat will travel STRAIGHT AS AN ARROW, yet still lean big time to the left.<br /><br />I had to go to the hospital and have my left arm extended 2 foot just to reach my beer cuz the stupid can keeps sliding over to port. Unreal... :mad: <br /><br />I found some writings by Mercury Marine about aftermarket stabilizers stating that if I have a aftermarket stabilizer installed on the boat and I trim the unit UP a bit the lean will go away... <br /><br />I haven't tried that yet, but I really don't think that's going to do the trick.<br /><br />The statement says some aftermarket stabilizers CAN CAUSE THE BOAT TO LEAN - roll over to the LEFT after going on plane.<br /><br />My boat is balanced perfectly when stopped. Sits straight in the water, no problem there.<br /><br />I've thought about installing a KEG on the starboard side of the boat with a automatic feed tube connecting to my mouth... so I can keep ****ing and steering the thing without a hassle.<br /><br />Seriously though.. has anyone else had this problem with their stabilizers?<br /><br />Keep in mind this boat does NOT have trim tabs or I would have just trimmed it out even.<br /><br />The boat DOES HAVE A 4 BLADE PROP on it... so I'm sure the torque on the prop is helping to twist the boat over to the left on plane also.<br /><br />CaptainBeerGoneAgain?<br />Here's some pictures of my boat which is currently for sale. I own another larger boat and just bought this one for investment reasons.<br /> Click to check out Boat Pictures

loadnet

Petty Officer 1st Class

More info on my boat leaning to the left on plane..<br /><br />I removed the aftermarket stabilizer and I'm going to try out the boat monday morning to see what happens.. even with the bent skeg..<br /><br />Mercury Marine says aftermarket stabilizers CAN make a boat roll to the left on plane and can sometimes be corrected quickly by raising the outdrive up just a bit.<br /><br />I've removed my stabilizer and I'm testing it tomorrow. <br /><br />I'll get back to whoever is interested in hearing the results of this wacky problem.<br /><br />PB CustomerService@401hosting.com

loadnet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry for the late get back on my boat leaning left problem...<br /><br />I've removed the aftermarket stabilizer and the boat seemed to flatten out a little bit better..<br /><br />I also noticed that trimming the outdrive up just a shade helped the situation.. <br /><br />Now just above the prop isn't there supposed to be another small adjustable skeg, like a lead weight type? because if so... mine is GONZO.. as in left the building.<br /><br />There's just a flat piece of lead there and I do not see any signs of where maybe the fin part of it broke off or any other markeings..<br /><br />Could that be what's causing this weird leaning to the left situation?<br />Isn't that supposed to compromise/balance out the prop torque?

Ralph 123

Captain

It dpendends on the model drive an if you have power steering. They are also called trim tabs. They are for coreccting torque steer. If I can find the link about that subject I will post it for you.

loadnet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Ralph, Thank you, however..<br /><br />The piece I'm talking about is not anything to do with the trim tabs..<br /><br />There are no trim tabs on this particular boat..<br /><br />The drive is an alpha 1. and it has hydraulic steering..<br /><br />My pre-alpha drive on my other (older) boat has a skeg type fin mounted just above the prop such as if one had a prop that was too large in diameter it would actually HIT the skep I'm talking about.<br /><br />It's the one that mounts with 1 long vertical allen head bolt that goes down through the housing and screws into the lead skeg.

daveswaves

Ensign

It is still called a trim tab. It provides trim and cathodic protection for the stern drive. Sounds like yours has been replaced by a flat anode, possibly because your prop would have hit the trim tab type anode.

conimicut1

Seaman Apprentice

hey a rhode islander talking about beer, why am I not surprised!<br /><br />The tab above the prop you are talking about is a anode that you have to replace when it wears away. But it comes two ways flat and with a fin. My boat had a flat one and the mechanic replaced it with a fin style, he said it really didn't matter. The fin type helps correct minor steering problems. If the thing is wornout replace it.<br /><br />Now your listing. My boat also listed when on plane and I was alone on the boat, but it was due to weight. The two batteries and myself are on the starboard side, it sits OK, but when it gets on plane less of the boat is in the water and it leaned. But my boat also has a water tank on the opposite side to counteract the batteries weight, I filled it up and no problems. Perhaps you have a weight distribution issue, is there any heavy stuff on one side? Clean out any heavy stuff and try again. Any water in the bilge? check in compartments under the deck too. Or check battery locations and try moving them.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Captain;<br /><br />I am not surprised that the boat runs flater without the hydrofoil, and here is the reason. Let me first say that I have a vested interest in another product, however this response is not ment to be a sales pitch.<br /><br />You have a deep V hull which is even more suseptable to this condition. The hydrofoil is used primarily to lift the stern on take off, and reduce the bow rise, and achieve plane easier. The hydrofoil is providing some minor lift at slow speeds because it is adding additonal planing surface. The effect at slow speeds is proportionate to the size of the foil, and the size and weight of the boat. Although the lift is not much at pre plane speeds ( I understand that you can feel the difference it is just minimal when compared to properly sized trim tabs), the faster you go the more lift you get, which is not good. It is like a bare foot water skier, at slow speeds he needs something to get him up but at high speeds the small foot print is enough to hold him up. Anyway, once you are on plane stern lift becomes less needed the faster you go as the water pressure on the hull is now supporting the weight.<br /><br />With the hydrofoil continuing to lift more and more, the bow is now being pushed down too far, the motor trim can not overcome the hydrofoil, and the boat runs bow down. In this situation, any susepability to torque listing will be exagerated. <br /><br />With the foil the concentration of lift is in the center of the V. This creates less port to starboard stability something like a teeter totter. It makes it easier to lean.<br /><br />I bet that with the foil you needed to slow down in sharp turns because the prop would blow out. The nose dives, the boat leans heavy, and the prop cavitates. <br /><br />As for trimming the out drive, you should always attempt to keep the prop perpendicular to the surface of the water for the most efficiency. You should not need to use the prop to correct the attitude of the boat, but you have no choice since you have no trim tabs.<br /><br />Trim Tabs are like flaps on airplane wings. They change the hull design to compensate for load, wind, speed, and weight balance. The plates should be sized in proportion to the boat in order to be effective. Smaller boat usually do not come with trim tabs for two reasons , one they are ( hydraulic or electric type) too costly relative to the boat cost, and second small light fast boats will react severly to mistakes in trim tabs use. The operator should have training and experience. Look at Smart Tabs as an alternative, you can do a search on this forum.<br /><br />Trim tabs or Smart Tabs, will allow the boat to plane easier, run smoother, eliminate attitude problems, stay on plane at lower speeds ( nice in rough weather), run more efficiently, and track better.

loadnet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the input on my listing problem..<br /><br />By removing the stabilizer the lean is livable now, so I should be able to sell the boat without a problem now..<br /><br />I was a bit worried the way it leaned so much to port..<br /><br />My weight displacement is fine.. fuel tank and driving station are on starboard, yet the boat WAS leaning to the port side pretty bad.<br /><br />all is good now so thanks to everyone for your helpful input..<br /><br />PB