1970-77 165 R-Drive Outdrive

golbrick7

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1970-77 Pre-Alpha 165 R-Drive Outdrive, Serial #4630028. Want to replace the Limit/Sensor Senders. Wiring is completly gone from each sender but have a Push-Button Up/Down switch that raises/lowers my outdrive with no problem. Want to add a guage to my dashbord to let me know what position my outdrive is in. The up/down switch works the drive even with the ignition key off. Have purchased new sensors, each having two unmarked black wires coming from each, and a new up/down gauge. Is there a simple way to wire in this gauge?
Thanks in advance, golbrick7 (Joe)

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: 1970-77 165 R-Drive Outdrive

hmmm. While i don't have an "R" drive, I do own a pre-alpha . . . mytrim gauge was an optional item which is hydraulicly driven. by that, Imean that the sender unit itself is mounted on the top of the inner transom plate and has a hydraulic line going to/out of it (down side) which tells the trim gauge what position the outdrive is in. When the Alpha I's came out, they actually changed the gimbal ring/bell housing to use a different screw-in hinge pin which accepts the electrical sending units. Unless you have a separate aftermarket style sending unit, I'm not sure if your unit will work with an "R" drive.

Any reason you need the trim gauge anyhow? Trim gauges are nice to have just to verify what you feel when driving the boat, but the trim gauge isn't worth much other than that.