Changed alternator belt, now see leak

hunter0527

Seaman
First off motor is in an 01 rinker 180, it is mercruiser 3.0L 135HP i/o.

I changed the alternator belt last night because there was a little wear/chunk out of the belt. While I was there I also changed the power steering belt (i think that is what the belt was for, its in front opposite side of alternator). I marked where the alternator and PS were before I moved either to get belts off. I tried to get alternator and PS back to original marks as close as possible, which i did. After putting it back together I noticed slow dripping (it was water) from the bottom pulley on the alternator belt. Where would that water be coming from? It really didnt look like it was coming out of the middle of the pulley but more so from the bottom. I took the boat out afterwards and it ran fine, just want to make sure all is well before I have a bigger problem on my hands.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Changed alternator belt, now see leak

You might have over tightened the belt and damaged the water pump.

hunter0527

Seaman

Hmmmm. well if i remember correctly i think i saw it before i even put the new belt on. if I loosen the belt will that work or am i screwed?

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hmmmm. well if i remember correctly i think i saw it before i even put the new belt on. if I loosen the belt will that work or am i screwed?

If you saw it before, then most likely it was already there. Even if it were not, loosening the belt will do nothing. Well, maybe take a little tension off the pullies and save the bearings (if you really got them that tight.).

How big of a pry bar did you use?:eek:

Look and/or feel under the front of the water pump. There is a seep hole there and its purpose is to let you know that the pump seal is going out. If it is wet, or you can see water dripping out od it, replace the pump. The only way for water to get on the alternator (and make it look like how you described "I noticed slow dripping (it was water) from the bottom pulley on the alternator belt" is for the water to have been carried there from the belt.

Not a big deal nor is it an expensive fix.

hunter0527

Seaman

next question is... i will have the pump replaced, however is this something that needs done right away? i have about another 2 - 3 weeks of boating (2-3 times per week, prob another 8 hrs +- on engine) and would rather have all this taken care of when I take it in to have it winterized. Will it be ok to wait or is this something that needs done now?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

You never know with a water pump.It may drip for weeks or just let go all at once and water will be pouring out of it.

hunter0527

Seaman

I guess i will keep an eye on it and react accordingly. Thanks guys!!!!

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I guess i will keep an eye on it and react accordingly. Thanks guys!!!!

If you even think the pump is bad and continue to use it you are asking for trouble. The pump could go and by the time you realize it ther e will be major damage.